Access to Army List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Access to Army List

Does anyone know where else the Army Lists can be viewed other than TNA?
    I want to look at the List for 1917/18.

Sue

Many thanks indeed for that Elaine - didn't expect it to be online!

Sue

Comment

Presumably you need to know the year recruited ???
      Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

Comment

No, as long as you have an rough idea. There's an index at the back of each one, so not too bad to search - unless a common name and you don't know the regiment!
        The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
        Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

I am amazed to see how far back these Army Lists go - 1600s it appears. That is a bonus I didn't expect!

I am actually looking for a chap who changed to be ASC after wounds and I now know was entitled to a Pension after WWI but took a gratuity instead so has remained elusive. He was a Royal Fusilier - I hadn't realised the Regimental no. changed each time a man changed regiments - it doesn't happen nowadays - whatever number you join with stays with you throughout your service.

Trying to get to grips with searching the website still!!!

Sue

Comment

Right ................ now I know I am really stupid - confirmed!!!
            First of all the army list does not go back to the 1700s which I read the number in the top left hand corner to mean - but I really did want the 1900s!
            Secondly (and this is embarrassing) - How can I turn the page into an upright position to read it - getting a crick in my neck trying to read it with head on table - variofocals don't work in that position

Sue
            Last edited by Sue1; 02-07-14, 19:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Sue1 View Post
              Secondly (and this is embarrassing) - How can I turn the page into an upright position to read it - getting a crick in my neck trying to read it with head on table - variofocals don't work in that position
              I sympathise. It's like trying to read a book in bed with varifocals on!

On the left hand side you will see an option to view the book in various formats. I usually choose text format because it's quick to download, but I've just tried one of the Army Lists at random and it doesn't want to play ball! It downloads OK in pdf format, with the pages the right way up, but takes a while to load. You might like to play with the other formats to see if they are any better.
              Elaine

Comment

It's not particularly user friendly with the search. I find the easiest way is to go to Advanced search (just to the right of the search boxes under the header) and in the top box which is ANY FIELD - contains = army list 1917
                .. then sift through what comes up!

There is probably a better way but I don't know what it is!
                Elaine

Comment

Thanks for that Elaine.
                  Going to try it in the morning - past my peak for high tech stuff at this time of night!

Sue

Comment

Sue

Are you sure he was an Officer? (the only men to appear in the Army List). If he had a Regimental number in WW1, then he wasn't an Officer, unless he was later commissioned from the ranks
                    Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

He was commissioned from the ranks in 1916 (RF) before the engagement at St. Eloi and quite serious injury (I have the RF Diary from 1914 to 1916 plus the rest which I haven't yet read and I cannot see when he was promoted to Captain. I have only just realised that Reg. no. changes if you change regiment, unlike today when it remains the same whichever regiment you transfer to.
                      Looking at his MIC for RF, however, it continues to be used after promotion to Captain, mentions ASC and then goes on to mention a posting to British Military Mission, Washington as a Temp Major (that was purely to reflect salary as presumably more money would be needed in USA - this is Gazetted). It also states "Gratuity" which I am told means he took a gratuity rather than receiving a regularly paid pension - I had always thought he hadn't served for long enough to qualify for a pension - he is not listed as a recipient of a pension on anc.co and the MOD don't have his record which I presume they wouldn't if he had taken a gratuity (but his record may have been burned of course - his HG record has also disappeared).
                      I am sure there is an obvious explanation for this that I am missing but I am also beginning to find it all a bit odd.
                      He may have actually become a 2nd Lt in 1914/15 after Retreat from Mons and first MID. Same MIC and same number used then.
                      Last edited by Sue1; 02-07-14, 21:58.

Comment

What was his name?

Comment

Pity there is not a search box where you just type in a name and it comes up with the answers. Aren't we getting pampered.:D, but I will still go through it.
                          Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Pity there is not a search box where you just type in a name and it comes up with the answers.
                            that would be great, save a lot of time searching through individual lists ..........
                            Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

Comment

William Foster b 1880 Forton Barracks, Alvestoke, Hants
                              Died September 1942 Salisbury, Wiltshire
                              MIC no: 12391
                              Served with: Royal Fusiliers 9th Brigade, 4th btn.

Sue

Comment

Oh haven't we spoken about him before, re WO339 and WO374?

I've never used the online Army Lists as I look at the actual books at Kew, but isn't there a way to go to the index at the back of the volume?

Comment

If there is I haven't found it yet! Will look for it. Thanks for tip.
                                  Yes, we have spoken about this chap before but things have changed a bit and there is rather a puzzle over him now.

Sue

Comment

The Officers Medal card which quotes previous number as 12391 gives his christian names as Walter Gordon???

Comment

I realise that the Walter bit is incorrect and supposed it was an error - his second name could be Gordon but have no idea as not on BC.
                                      What has caused me to re-question this is really a document I was directed to which shows Capt. Walter Gordon Foster going to USA with a Military Mission as a Temp Major - the document (which can be read online) gives his birthplace as Tunbridge Wells Kent - should be, for my chap, Forton Barracks, Alverstoke, Hants - however, his parents names are given on another version of this and they are most definitely not my chaps parents (I cannot get that link to work now). If this is the incorrect person the information has been added to the wrong MIC because everything else is correct (except for his first name) - the medals are attributed to him are correct but a lot of officers in WWI had those medals.
                                      The address which is mentioned in the link i.e. Clifden Road, Brentford, Middlesex is on his MIC but I now suspect it isn't his.
                                      How much is MY man and how much is NOT him - are the written records also mixed up I wonder - I think I will give up at this point and move on to the next person in the Tree! - with burnt records etc it could never be sorted out.
                                      The link is https://archive.org/stream/whoswhoinbritish00newy

The original link which showed me his parents names and address I can no longer get to work for me!

Sue

Comment

Working...
                                      X