Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I found out if this person has been declared dead ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I found out if this person has been declared dead ?

I'm looking at someone who disappeared over 20 years ago.....I really want to know if she has been declared dead, so that I know if it's OK to ask questions. How can I find out about this please ?

I'd try:
    1] web-searching, maybe not just the obvious search engines in case different algorithms pick up different hits.
    2] London Gazette
    3] Newspapers online
    4] 192.com (looking for electoral roll info)

When you say "disappeared" is that in the formal sense? or just that you don't know where they are?

There must be some documentation in 1923 declaring my grandfather dead, because my grandmother married again - to a very respectable GP - in the December of that year.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

If someone is declared legally dead, a death cert will be issued. You will have to trawl through all the years though, to find it.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
        If someone is declared legally dead, a death cert will be issued. You will have to trawl through all the years though, to find it.

OC
        Duh!

I hadn't thought of that!

Will it have been added to the date that the death is supposed to have happened, or at the time the declaration is made?

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I THINK it would be when the declaration was made, because you really couldn't guess when a person had died if you don't have a body.

In my mind, I think you have to wait seven years but maybe an interim cert would be issued if there were pressing financial hardships? Um, maybe not...

OC

Comment

Sorry if my case isn't sufficiently parallel and is viewed as a hi-jack...

My grandfather is suppoed to have left in May 1916 and my grandmother remarried in December 1923 - which suggests a seven year wait... but I still haven't managed to find an obvious candidate for the death registration yet.

Christine

Comment

Do you know if she moved from her last known address?

It could be that she's just taken herself off the public edition of the electors roll. I think a lot of people didn't register due to the Poll Tax (can't remember when that was but quite a few years back).

Another thing is she might be living with someone and changed her name to his. She'd be registered under that name if she'd died.
              Last edited by JBee; 24-06-14, 23:42.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

My friends son went down in shark infested waters.....he was a well known man and very, very wealthy. His mum had to wait 8 yrs I think before she could access his monies, she died a few weeks later....that was about 20 years ago.
                Last edited by Tilly Mint; 24-06-14, 23:47. Reason: sp
                Jacky

Comment

how awful Tilly poor man

Comment

Yes, Val, he was single and his mum was left everything......she just wanted her son and died a broken woman
                    Jacky

Comment

Oh, thanks everyone.....I'll do a trawl of the death certs. This person just seems to have disappeared. I've found newspaper & other reports on the net, one fairly recent where it says her brother says he'll never stop searching, but it doesn't say if she's officially been declared dead. She was working in a small town on a busy Saturday & someone saw her leaving around lunchtime & walking along the river path out of town. Someone else saw her coming back & turning into one of the main shopping streets about an hour & a half later & that was the last time she was seen. She'd said she was popping out for 2 minutes from work & she'd left her handbag with her purse & some groceries she'd bought to take home at her place of work. The police are baffled. I'd never heard of this case before.

Tilly....a horrible case.....money can't buy you everything....in fact it can lead you into trouble. The man who owned our house before we did travelled regularly to work by train. Back in the "old days" they used to use asbestos for the heating in first class carriages (he always travelled first class) & they think this is what caught up with him in the end
                      Last edited by greyingrey; 25-06-14, 09:31.

Comment

Many people are never officially declared dead because you would really have to have a definite reason to do so - such a declaration would usually have a financial motive, as in being totally dependent on that person, or their house and/or legal affairs needing to be sorted. It uis not an easy process (requires newspaper searches and an inquest). If your relative had simply disappeared, with no evidence of foul play, then the relatives probably would not want to make the psychological leap needed to believe that someone was dead.

OC

Comment

There is no automatic process for this. As OC says - she won't have been declared dead unless someone has made an application for that to happen to the high court - the facts of the police investigation, plus no-one having seen/spoken to her since would form part of the evidence that the court will consider.

If there has been no court declaration, or inquest, there will be no death certificate. Of course it is possible she has since lived/died under an assumed name, or that she went abroad.

Many people do just "disappear", and many missing persons cases go unsolved.
                          Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                          Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thanks for your help....I've been reading about the problems Claudia Lawrence's family have had in dealing with her affairs. According to the reports, the woman I'm looking at had a husband (eliminated from enquiries), but it only quoted a brother in the most recent report....maybe the husband has died. She did own a business (don't know whether it was in her sole name)

If there's anybody on the board with connections to that area, I'm sure they'll recognise the case from my description.....it would have caused quite a stir in a small town. Maybe you could send me a PM if there have been any subsequent developments.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                            X