Cause of death interpretation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cause of death interpretation?

Can anyone help, I need to find out what the cause of death means. My Mum always insisted that she had twin step brothers from her fathers first marriage and I wondered if this indicates that Ellen died following childbirth, I have tried to find the birth of twins with no success.
    Thanks
    Jo
    Attached Files

Insanity is hereditary - You get it from your children!

Putrefaction - de composition
    Ruptured perineum - following vaginal delivery
    Phlegmasia Doleno - swelling causes problems with blood flow - tissue death = gangrene.
    Pleurisy - inflammation of the lungs.
    Syncope - coma - loss of consciousness.
    Vonny

Comment

Thanks Vonny, there is a chance that there is a birth registered somewhere. I obviously need than to keep looking for the birth/s!
      Jo

Comment

The first word is parturition (28days) - the act of giving birth
        The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
        Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

So does that mean she gave birth 28 days earlier? As this was in May 1899, could someone else, i.e. a relative register the birth/child as their own? I am a little confused as there is no death of a child in the same parish and Ellens death is in the parish records.
          She is Ellen Isabella Jarvis nee Blencowe 28 yrs old living is the parish of St Leonards, 202 Pool Road, Leicester and died 3 May 1899. Her husband was Arthur Ernest, who is 1901 was living in Leicester with a different family.
          Jo

Comment

Thanks for putting me right on the above, my eyes are getting worse!!!!
            Vonny

Comment

If the baby/babies were stillborn, there would be no record. There are however, one or two birth/deaths, but not for twins.

OC

Comment

Maybe the child / children were stillborn and so a birth and death would not be registered in the usual GRO index.
                Perhaps the child was buried in the same graveyard as Ellen.
                Church or cemetery records might show this?

Gwyn

Comment

Thanks OC and Gwyn, I checked the burial records a couple of years ago and there was nothing listed only Ellens burial. I have only just got back into searching after a few years break and this is the second death cert I sent for and both opened a can of worms!
                  Thank you for telling me about stillborn babies not being registered, that could be the answer.
                  Jo

Comment

Another possibility is that one was stillborn and the other born alive but then died - so only one death shows in the indexes.

I see there are several sets of Jarvis twins in Leicester in the 1890s, but not two boys.

OC

Comment

Ellen's sister Bertha marries John Henry WESTON in 1897. In 1901 they have a 1 year old niece Ellen M (May) JARVIS living with them. Ellen May's birth was registered in Jun 1899 so that looks like the birth from which Ellen Isabella died.
                      Glen

Comment

OC, how have you found twins, I have looked and spotted nothing that would indicate twins, what am I missing in my searches.?? I know since I stopped doing my reasearch I have forgotten more than I remember which is making my searches so slow.
                        Glen thank you for that information off to have a look. This could be the missing child.
                        Joxx

Comment

It isn't foolproof, but if two Jarvis babies have the same registration number then they are probably twins. Also could be consecutive numbers. I'll try to find an example.

OC

Comment

Mar 1893 Oakham (not Leicester I know, but an illustration of a twin registration)

Florence Jarvis 7a 342
                            Lillie Jarvis 7a 342

Sep 1897 Leicester
                            Fred James Jarvis 7a 306
                            Nellie Jarvis 7a 307

these two could be twins, one at the bottom of the page, Nellie at the top of the next page...or it might just be a coincidence and they are not related!

Dec 1897 Leicester

Very likely twins:

Dorothy Eva Jarvis 7a 313
                            William 7a 313

I'm not saying any of these are yours, it's just an indication that these MIGHT be twins.

OC

Comment

Thanks for the infor OC, I just cannot beleive how much I have forgotten, still slowly getting there. I should have remembered this as I do have twins in the other side of my family. I will be back to the records and have a fresh look.
                              Jo

Comment

As Ellen & Arthur didn't marry until Jun Qtr 1898, there's no time for them to have had additional children to Ellen May unless they were illegitimate but there are no obvious BLENCOWE twins either. Arthur was only 21 when he married but as he didn't marry again until 1910 he possibly had a relationship between the two which produced children but as these are likely to be registered under the mother's name they'll be very difficult to find.
                                Glen

Comment

Glen

Sorry, I didn't register the fact that Ellen and Arthur didn't marry until 1898!

OC

Comment

OC

Wasn't criticising, just stating what I'd found. So I think the scenario is as I've stated above or Jo's mum got a bit muddled up as to the relationship of the twins to her.
                                    Glen

Comment

My Mum refused to discuss her history, she said she did not want 'skeletons' digging up!! It was only when my sister was thought to be having twins that she said her father had twins, but refused to say anything else, but of course this could all just be hearsay. Obviously there is the 10 year gap between his first wife dying and him marrying Agnes Steeples. He went away and served in WW1 but I cannot find any of records for him. On the 1901 census he is living with his second wifes sister and her family as a lodger.
                                      Jo

Comment

Working...
                                      X