Genuki and how we forget about this type of ongoing updated information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genuki and how we forget about this type of ongoing updated information

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/ I have just been looking through Genuki website and have reminded myself of how Useful this site is and it is constantly being updated but we take it for granted and I only usually check it out when a place name comes up that I am not familiar with.
    It is worth our while taking the time to go through the links checking what is new, go on its worth a look. There is some interesting stuff to be found there, The Newgate Calendar's are on line now, The Black Sheep Indexes, Old Bailey Online with its lots of interesting cases with search facility.
    The Court of Chivalry 1634 to 1640 have you ever heard of it as I hadn't.
    Historic Aerial photography and Britain from above, Round the Coast,

Take a look again and spend a little time going through things, you don't know what's there until you look again

Edna

thanks Edna looks good

Comment

Many thanks Edna. Something further to do to while away the long dreary winter here.
      Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Thanks so much - very helpful

Comment

I agree with you Edna. A very useful site and one that I use often.

it is constantly being updated ... take a look again and spend a little time going through things, you don't know what's there until you look again
          Can I give a similar plug to our Reference Library. We are constantly updating that with links given to us by members or ones we have found on the web or in newsletters. Lots of new stuff being added on a regular basis so always worth going back and checking to see what is there.
          Elaine

Comment

I agree entirely about Genuki? I have always found it useful particularly for Irish History.

Janet

Comment

Just a word of warning about the Black Sheep Index. The link is to an archived copy of the website. I believe the owner died several years ago. While still useful as an index you cannot order items, sadly. I had a couple of extremely useful documents from there and was very sorry to see it go. I wonder what happened to his store of material?

Anne

Comment

I use Genuki a lot too.

I love their "nearby places" feature which lists all the villages within a certain radius of a place. So useful if you have ag labs for example who moved around within a relatively small area between censuses. Great too, if like me, the village concerned is on the county border - at one census it is in x county, the next it is in y. Applies to large cities too where villages have become integrated within them over time.

I have also found it so useful for finding to which Union a particular parish belongs or locating the nearest workhouse - especially London - for me.
                Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                  I agree with you Edna. A very useful site and one that I use often.

Can I give a similar plug to our Reference Library. We are constantly updating that with links given to us by members or ones we have found on the web or in newsletters. Lots of new stuff being added on a regular basis so always worth going back and checking to see what is there.
                  Yes of course Elaine and very well kept too, I admit I don't check it as often these days I am not doing research regularly now but its very helpful

Edna

PS Ann in Carlisle, sorry I did not know Black Sheep Index was no longer operating, sad I had information from him in the past too.
                  Last edited by clematised; 16-06-14, 22:52.

Comment

A timely reminder. Genuki was one of the first sites I bookmarked when I started this family history malarky. It's free and full of wonderful gems. Useful guides to where records are kept and I even found some transcriptions about the tiny village one of my gt x 2 grandmother lived in, including the cottage she rented.
                    ~ with love from Little Nell~
                    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I used Genuki all the time when I started out, and needed to look at it just last week.

It depends on how you navigate the forums here and how often you visit, whether you will spot the notifications, but to keep an eye on which new links or pages we add, you don't need to keep looking in the Library, you can always have a look in the Reference Library Comments folder on the forum:

Forum > Site Projects > Reference Library Community Board > Reference Library Comments

The most active at the moment is the http://www.familytreeforum.com/showt...-One-Centenary but there are some very new pages too .....

Caroline
                      Caroline's Family History Pages
                      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

i only ever used it to tell me how far away towns were from another- now i have google maps. sometimes it was quite helpful with where parish records were located too.

Comment

It's always worth looking at old sites - they add new things, or you have new information you can use to look better. Or you've found new places to investigate.
                          ~ with love from Little Nell~
                          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                          X