Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Rowlands d 14.4.1847

I am intrigued by the above chap.
    My family of Rowlands are quite elusive but I know there were a few of them around Shropshire (Wyle Cop in particular) - they had possibly strayed over the border from Montgomeryshire.

I have found this above chap quite by accident but only his death:

James Rowlands (the "s" is on the original FMP handwritten entry only) of Shoplatch, Shropshire
    Buried: 14.4.1847 St. Chads, Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
    Occ: late shoemaker. Age: 79 (he must have been born c1762)

Someone has sent me the 1841 census HO 107/926/1 which shows him age 70 living in Shoplatch, Shrewsbury St. Chad. No one else in that house was a Rowland(s). Occ: Shoemaker.
    How on earth do I go about trying to find where this chap was from - my first guess would be Northamptonshire because of the "shoe connection" plus I know there are some Rowlands who are connected to the family in Northamptonshire but this chap is not among them!!! He is also the oldest.

[I have a missing James Rowland b circa1765 somewhere or other ?Wales but birth has never been found but he was a master tailor and military and I know he was in Stamford, Lincs in 1797 (son born there), Ireland shortly after (military), Essex in 1800 (off to Napoleonic Wars) and then moved to Great Baddow, Essex where he died (I have his death entry). It is definitely not the same chap.]

Sue

Originally posted by Sue1 View Post
    I am intrigued by the above chap.

James Rowlands (the "s" is on the original FMP handwritten entry only) of Shoplatch, Shropshire
    Buried: 14.4.1847 St. Chads, Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
    Occ: late shoemaker. Age: 79 (he must have been born c1762)

I make his likely birth year 1767/8 (1847-79)
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

How embarrassing .............. maths was never my strong point!
      Thanks Judith.

Sue

Comment

Not that it has helped me to find the chap for you Sue :( Will keep looking
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Working...
        X