Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baptised 3 times, twice on the same day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baptised 3 times, twice on the same day?

One for the baptism experts, especially the meaning of the note in the margin of the 3rd baptism. All 3 baptisms are parents Robert and Eliza Wigger.

Harold Thomas Wigger, b Q3 1887, Camberwell (FreeBMD)

Harold Thomas Wigger, bap. 31 Jan 1893, Walworth All Saints (London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906)

Harold Thomas Wigger, bap. 31 Jan 1893, St Alphage Southwark (England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975)

Harold Thomas Wigger, bap. 26 Apr 1894, Camberwell Christ Church dob 15 July 1887 (London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906)
    Note in margin: Recd into the Ch: Baptised P.?? the Evelina Hosp. Feb '93

1891 census (RG12; Piece 483; Folio 55; Page 52) aged 13 living with parents Robert and Eliza
    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 14-06-14, 16:08.
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

The first two baptisms were probably just one, done privately in the hospital but reported twice - is one of the churches the mother church?

The third baptism reflects that there was a previous baptism, probably in extremis. As you cannot be baptised twice, this baptism reflects the "receiving into the church community". The wording is slightly different I believe from an original baptism.

Any Christian person can baptise anyone (usually a baby) in extremis, so that the soul will be recognised by God, but only the church can receive a soul into the living community. Gosh, I do hope that makes sense!

I have a baptism which puzzled me greatly for years, it appeared to have been performed three times on the same day in three different churches. However, when I finally saw the originals, the baptism had taken place at a chapel of ease, recorded there, then recorded at the sister church and finally recorded in the parish church! The marginal notes made it clear what had happened.

OC

Comment

Just spotted a typo and missed the edit deadline! He is aged 13 in 1891!

I have changed it for you Pete
      Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 14-06-14, 16:09.
      Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
      Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
      Devine in Ireland

Comment

Thanks OC, that does make sense.

The first baptism does have a squiggle in the margin that could be P something, as do some others on the page, so I guess that is the mark for a private baptism. The 2nd one is only available as a transcription so I have no idea if there are any other notes.
        Devine in Ireland

Comment

I was going to put pretty much what OC has put. I have often seen just a "P" against what must have been a private baptism.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
          X