File on FTM2005 how to transfer to FRM2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File on FTM2005 how to transfer to FRM2014

I have a family tree on FTM 2005 which is on my old laptop. I currently use FTM2014 on my desktop. Can anyone please give me step by step instructions (if it can be done) on how to copy this Wilson file to my desktop.

Your help would be much appreciated. Thank you.
    Linda - Happy Hunting

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

It is possible that FTM 2014 will import directly from FTM 2005 - but I cannot find anything online to confirm this!

So, you can do it this way.
    The first thing you need to do is to export a GEDCOM file from FTM 2005.
    Follow the instructions on the following link

Once you have the GEDCOM file, transfer it over to your desktop.
    Open FTM 2014 - click on PLAN tab - and then just under that you will see two tabs New Tree / Current Tree - click on New Tree

Under the GETTING STARTED heading select the option IMPORT AN EXISTING TREE.
    You should see a box which says "file to import" and BROWSE. Click on BROWSE and find the newly created GEDCOM - name the tree - and the program should do the rest for you.

Shout if you need help!
    Elaine

Comment

Many thanks Elaine. Sorry I just got back to you.

In the end I plugged a memory stick into my laptop and copied the file onto that. Then plugged the memory stick into my desktop tower, opened a new file on FTM2014 and browsed for the memory stick with the file. Clicked on that and FTM2014 converted the file. Bingo all up and running. Must admit it was a very small file. Only about 80 people.

Don't you just love computers. I find them fascinating
      Linda - Happy Hunting

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Comment

I thought that might have been the case, but I could only see confirmation that it would automatically open files from the 2008 version and onwards - hence the GEDCOM instructions! Glad it worked for you.
        Elaine

Comment

Working...
        X