Are they twins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are they twins?

Hey guys, I've been looking at a few Phillips images that I've saved from Baptisms, Census etc and I've realized something:

Harry Phillips baptised on 17th February 1870 and not 1869 like I thought.

William Phillips baptised on 7th June 1870 at 47 Woodchurch Road.

Both to Robert & Hannah Phillips so could they be twins or was Harry baptised a year later because his 1871 census where he's with his Grandparents says that his age is 2 and there's a different address on Harry's baptism. Either that or he's not the child of my Robert & Hannah, after all it was the 1871 Census that caused me to find out about him.

Questions, answers and general information about your family history research.

The thread about Harry's death, William died in London 1871.

I know I'm annoying aren't I? ;)
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Presumably no dates of birth given in the baptism register?
    Nor other details? If they were twins and one was baptised straightaway (in an emergency situation) then I would expect the register to say "private."

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
      Hey guys, I've been looking at a few Phillips images that I've saved from Baptisms, Census etc and I've realized something:

Harry Phillips baptised on 17th February 1870 and not 1869 like I thought.

William Phillips baptised on 7th June 1870 at 47 Woodchurch Road.

Both to Robert & Hannah Phillips so could they be twins or was Harry baptised a year later because his 1871 census where he's with his Grandparents says that his age is 2 and there's a different address on Harry's baptism. Either that or he's not the child of my Robert & Hannah, after all it was the 1871 Census that caused me to find out about him.

Questions, answers and general information about your family history research.

The thread about Harry's death, William died in London 1871.

I know I'm annoying aren't I? ;)
      Families often baptised a number of children together as it was costly. So these two are not likely to be twins but you should find the BMD index references and see if they are both on the same page etc. This would confirm or otherwise.
      Margaret

Comment

As William shows as 11 months old on the 1871 census, so born between April and May 1870, and Harry was baptised in February 1869 they can't possibly be twins.
        Paddington was in Kensington district.
        Harry Phillips was registered in Q1 1869 Kensington 1a 48 (or there's a Harry Victor Phillips in same quarter, 1a 67). there's no other Phillips on the same page or adjacent pages.
        William Phillips Q2 1870 Kensington 1a 38 there's no other Phillips on the same page or adjacent pages.
        So I don't believe either Harry or William had a twin.
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I agree in these circumstances it appears unlikely, as others have already given reasons. Although not a failsafe, I have found sets of twins that have been identified as such within the parish records for baptism.
          Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Looking back I have found Harry's birth of Q1 1869, I don't know why I didn't have that bit attached, I'm positive I did.
            Thank you for the advice on children baptised as similar times, it may solve the question as to why there's so many Phillips twins so I'll have to go back over them as well.
            Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

Working...
            X