Funeral Bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funeral Bill

I am just getting back into my family history research and I was wonder if anyone could explain the wording on this funeral bill. I understand everything except

img004.jpg
    the last line for a hearse...... I hope the picture is clear enough for you to read. I am not sure how to make it bigger. I was wondering if the last cost was for a flag?
    Thanks for any advice/help
    Jo

Insanity is hereditary - You get it from your children!

too small for me sorry hope somebody can read it

Comment

It looks more like 1 Fly - which was the name for a sort of horse drawn wagon
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thanks for looking, I thought it might be too small.
        Jo

Comment

Judith thank you

Herse Shellibier 15/- 1 fly 6/6 so if 'fly' is a horse that would make sense.
          But what is a Herse Shellibier? Would that be what we know as a herse?
          I have looked through war records to see if he died as a result of the war, but have found no records at all. I have ordered his death cert, just waiting for it to arrive.
          Jo

Comment

well the bier part of shellibier is the stand on which the coffin is placed, not heard of shellibier but that word is not easy to decipher on the image you have posted.
            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

whats his name and details ? Jojo

Comment

alfred B bill.jpg

I have enlarged the section, hope this is better.
                Jo

Comment

His name is Alfred Boswell, he was born in 1894 in Lincoln. His parents were Alfred and Susan. He married in 1916 to Blanche Scruton and had a son, Alfred Wallace iwas born in 1917. As you can see from the bill his parents paid for the funeral and there was a death notice published in the local paper, which I thought was strange as they were hawkers.
                  Jo
                  Last edited by JoJo; 11-06-14, 22:02.

Comment

According to wikipedia (which is sometimes correct, but often not !) ... George Shillibeer invented a "funeral omnibus which combined a passenger vehicle with a hearse"

They are still available for use from a number of funeral directors today - you can see one on this page

A "Fly" was a type of small carriage / hansom cab.

So they had 2 vehicles provided for the funeral - one large (15 shillings) and one small ( 6 shillings and sixpence).
                    Last edited by AntonyM; 11-06-14, 22:13.
                    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thanks for that information Antony, looks like it was a sizeable funeral. Tried google but nothing came up.
                      Jo

Comment

Just a thought, but hawkers/gypsies etc were very big on funerals and spent a lot of money on them so this would be quite in keeping. (In fact, it was a bit on the modest side, lol)

OC

Comment

I agree for gypsy funerals now, was not sure if it was the same nearly 100 yrs ago. Just wish, as everyone does that more questions had been asked!!

Jo

Comment

Working...
                          X