Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How likely is this

am still having trouble researching this family

Have a William John Knight born 1857 Bermondsey who disappears in 1881 and 1891 then we think gets married in 1895 to a Martha Elizabeth Townsend as a Bachelor

Query is his Father was George William Knight a Currier

But William says on the Marriage Cert Father William John Knight a Currier Deceased

Thing is William was admitted to The Metropolitan Asylum institution as an orphan when about 8 years old so is it likely he did not know his Fathers name

I have searched for a William Knight Currier from 1861 to 1891 and not found one and also not found any William Knight with a Father William Knight a Currier

Thanks for looking

Is it also possible that George used his middle name in preference in which case he would have known his father as William?

although this would not explain the John.
    Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Is this his baptism?

15th April 1857 Bermondsey Christ Church b 7th Feb 1857, William John, son of George William & Mary Knight 1 Johns Place, Grange Road, Currier

Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
      Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
      Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
      Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
      Devine in Ireland

Comment

Thanks for replying I see what you mean Bubble but he used the name George on everything I have seen of him, yes Pete thats his bap
        Last edited by Guest; 10-06-14, 14:55.

Comment

As that is his baptism, there is his sister Emily baptised on the same day, although she is 11 years older than him. Have you traced Emily? Perhaps she can give you some clues.

I have looked for her in 1871 but there isn't an exact match, although there are loads of possibles.
          Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
          Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
          Devine in Ireland

Comment

Thats the trouble Pete the whole family disappear in 1861 , think the census record for that period may be missing? and the youngest 3 ended up in the Workhouse School, William John, and Mary in 1863 ,and Charles Owen in 1865 .
            Emily might be the death I found in 1870 in the Workhouse not sure yet as not found her admittance.

Comment

I am afraid I now give up, I have gone around and around in ever decreasing circles and come up with nothing new.
              Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

I've looked for Knight (of any name,) currier in 1851 - 1891. Only a handful for the whole period. Even allowing for the fact that currier was mis-spelt in, or missing from, a census return, in the London area I've only come across your chap's father in the 1851 census and one much younger man in 1891.
                If there is another William Knight son of a currier in the London area in post 1851 census returns, then I can find no trace of him and his family.
                Circumstantial, but looking quite strong, I would say.

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I'm going to have to give up as well. I have tried searching on first names only, but nothing.

According to the list of missing pieces for 1861 the only ones missing in London are for Islington, West London South and Woolwich.
                  Last edited by PeteW1959; 10-06-14, 19:03.
                  Devine in Ireland

Comment

Thanks Bubble for trying and Janet thats what I thought too so am inclined to think he is mine ,he just did not know his Fathers name ,and Pete, I wonder where they all went in 1861 then? as I thought parts of Bermondsey were missing?

Comment

Desperate measures again Val.

Re the possible death you found of Emily Knight in Rotherhithe Workhouse who died on the 14th October and was taken out by friends, I wonder if this Hackney record could be connected.

Further down the page there is a still born infant Knight who was buried also in Hackney but at a later date.
                      Can't read the address for the infant but it looks like 48 ?? New Street, Bermondsey

Vera

Comment

ooh Vera thats 45 New Street where his Brother George Daniel Knight lived in 1871 so thats one of their 16 children thanks very much for that.
                        Last edited by Guest; 10-06-14, 20:38.

Comment

fed up now a contact has found a William Knight born abt 1856 Bermondsey with a Father William Knight who is a Tanner?

Comment

Ughhhhhhhh :(

Sounds like it might make sense of the inconsistencies, though?

Jay
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

thanks Janet have just been looking and have found a bap for a William Ambrose Knight born 1856 Bermondsey Father Willam Knight a Tanner so maybe my contact is wrong ?

Comment

Currier and Tanner are very closely related jobs, and I would have thought interchangeable.
                                Devine in Ireland

Comment

yes suppose so Pete but this ones middle name was Ambrose not John and with the same parents my contact found in 1871 and 1881 so hoping shes wrong UUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH

Comment

Working...
                                  X