The MoD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The MoD

Has anyone ever applied to the MoD for details of a war record for a deceased soldier. If so how long does it take before a reply is recieved. I applied about 6 weeks ago the for the WW1 record of my grandfather and so far I haven't heard a thing. They recieved my letter as I tracked it through recorded delivery. They haven't cashed the cheque that went with it either.

Some people have had them back within a couple of months - have also known them to take 6-9 months!
    Elaine

Comment

If it was WW1, they wouldn't have his records. They only have them from early 1920's on. If he was an Officer, his records, if they have survived, will be at the National Archives. If "other rank" they will be on Ancestry if they have survived
      The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
      Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

put his details on here maybe somebody will find them

Comment

I don't think its very quick - think I remember a couple of years ago it being about 12 months due to volume of requests.

I've got to send for two uncles army records but haven't got around to it yet. Have got to get their death certificates first.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
            put his details on here maybe somebody will find them
            Follow this link for the story so far

I have been researching my family history and would like to find out more about my grandfather's role in WW1. I have tried Ancestry.com without success. His name was John Walter Bird, born 19/11/1890 and in 1911 he wax living at 216 Earsham Street. He enlisted with the 4th Hallamshire Rifles whic...

Comment

Originally posted by Thetallone View Post
              Has anyone ever applied to the MoD for details of a war record for a deceased soldier. If so how long does it take before a reply is recieved. I applied about 6 weeks ago the for the WW1 record of my grandfather and so far I haven't heard a thing. They recieved my letter as I tracked it through recorded delivery. They haven't cashed the cheque that went with it either.
              The application process to MOD is only for WW2 records - everything else is either at the national archives or on ancestry.
              Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                The application process to MOD is only for WW2 records - everything else is either at the national archives or on ancestry.
                Margaret
                Follow this link for the story so far

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/fo...a-ww1-soldier/
                Have now read your other forum posts and see you are thinking your man served after 1921 and that his records might still be held by MOD because of this. If this is correct it can take anything up to 9 months to get a reply and I don't think they cash cheques until someone gets to open your envelope which may be stacked along with several hundred others in a tray!
                Margaret

Comment

I believe the application the MOD is for any army records post 1920, not just WW2. If your man stayed a regular soldier post 1920 his records would be with MOD but from what I've read on this thread and the one you posted a link to it looks like he left regular service after WW1, but continued in the TA. Perhaps someone with more knowledge of army records would know if that means his records would be at MOD.
                  Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
                    I believe the application the MOD is for any army records post 1920, not just WW2. If your man stayed a regular soldier post 1920 his records would be with MOD but from what I've read on this thread and the one you posted a link to it looks like he left regular service after WW1, but continued in the TA. Perhaps someone with more knowledge of army records would know if that means his records would be at MOD.
                    I think what you have said is right because I have just looked on the other forum posts and they are more knowledgeable on War records and they say the same.
                    Margaret

Comment

Yes, as I said in Post 3, MOD have them for discharges 1921 on. You're in for a long wait - up to a year!
                      Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

John Walter Bird was an army man. He was in the TA before WW1 and in it up to 1942. He tried to enlist to fight in WW2 along with his son also the same name. He was gutted when he was turned down because of his age. It may have saved his life. His son joined in 1939. Christmas 1939 is the last his family ever saw of him. By January 1940 he was in Palestine and on Oct 28th 1942 he was killed El Alamein.
                        Last edited by Thetallone; 10-06-14, 14:41.

Comment

Originally posted by annswabey View Post
                          Yes, as I said in Post 3, MOD have them for discharges 1921 on. You're in for a long wait - up to a year!
                          I hope thet are quicker than that!!! My mum would like to see her father's record and she's 90!

Comment

I hope thet are quicker than that!!! My mum would like to see her father's record and she's 90!
                            My request for my father's WW2 record came through within 3 months so there's hope!
                            Margaret

Comment

Yes, I've received some fairly quickly but you should perhaps allow for a year then you won't be too disappointed! You could also give them your Mum's age when you apply and they might take that into account!

Comment

Originally posted by annswabey View Post
                                Yes, I've received some fairly quickly but you should perhaps allow for a year then you won't be too disappointed! You could also give them your Mum's age when you apply and they might take that into account!
                                I'd give them a ring and ask on progress and tell them about your mum if you haven't already done so.
                                Margaret

Comment

The MoD have sent me a letter. 3 to 6 months wait. They are very busy with welfare claims.

Comment

Working...
                                  X