Searching for Florence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching for Florence

Hi I am trying to find some information on my great grand mother Florence..

She was born in 1879 in Hendon.

Married Williem Edward Welch in 1900.

My search starts when she remarried Reginald Goodchild in 1918.

If anyone can help me with the family of Florence Goodchild I would be extremly greatful as I have hit the wall.

Thanks,

Gordon

I guess this is Florence & William in 1911:

Street address: 85 Granville Road, West Kilburn N W
    William Edward Welch 30
    Florence Welch 31
    William Robert Welch 10
    Florence Maud Welch 8
    Alexander Fredick Welch 6
    John Joseph Welch 3

The youngest son John Joseph was born in Quebec, Canada. I found his baptism in the Drouin Collection on Ancestry:

This gives Florence's maiden name as Luscombe.

This therefore would appear to be her first marriage:
    Marriages Jun 1900
    Luscombe Florence Paddington 1a 48
    WELCH William Paddington 1a 48

... and her birth:
    Births Sep 1879
    Luscombe Florence Hendon 3a 142

Can't see any Goodchild children with mother's maiden name Luscombe, but since Florence would have been 39 by the time of her marriage to Reginald, they are unlikely to have had children.

This could be her death:
    Deaths Jun 1926
    Goodchild Florence 46 Watford 3a 854

There is another Florence Goodchild death of the right age in Buckinghamshire in 1950, however there is a probate record for that one and it states her husband as Frederick John Goodchild, so not your Florence. The only other Florence Goodchild deaths of the right age have middle names.

Not sure what other info you are seeking?
    Last edited by Richard in Perth; 09-06-14, 03:27.

Comment

Florence & William's marriage:

Name: William Welch
      Estimated Birth Year: abt 1880
      Spouse Name: Florence Luscombe
      Spouse Age: 20
      Record Type: Marriage
      Event Date: 24 Apr 1900
      Parish: Paddington Emmanuel
      Borough: Westminster
      Father Name: Joseph Welch
      Spouse Father: John Luscombe
      Register Type: Parish Register

Comment

Hi Richard, thanks for your interest you have confirmed all the info I have found on Florence, (unfortunately I am unable to access the link to Josephs baptism), my interest is that is the families belief that there was a son also Reginald to Florence and Reginald snr, however I have been unable to find any links to that. And if any other family may have been hiding.

Comment

Just to add to Richard's post about Florence & William's marriage. Their address is listed as 186 Shirland Road and both their fathers were plasterers. William was a Builders Labourer. The actual marriage date was 27 May 1900.

Still looking for anything else on Florence.
          Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 09-06-14, 08:12.
          My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Florence was born on 4 June 1879 and baptised on 12 September 1880 at St Lukes, West Kilburn. Her parents were John Henry and Charlotte Luscombe.

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

William, Florence & their three children (William, 5, Florence, 3 & Alexander, 1) sailed from Liverpool to Quebec on 7 June 1906 aboard the 'Canada', arriving on 15 June. William's occupation is listed as Farmer on the departure list and General Labourer on the arrivals list. It looks as though the words 'To be deported 810970' are written across the family on the arrivals list. Maybe someone else could check to see if I have read it correctly.

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Hi Sue, That is a very interesting piece of news, again I am not able to view link, if anyone can turn them into pdf files or jpg's i would be truly greatful

Comment

Just a thought incase when asked ' Previous surname? ' rather than maiden name.......

Name: Reginald J Goodchild
                  Mother's Maiden Surname: Welch
                  Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1919
                  Registration district: Willesden
                  Inferred County: Oxfordshire
                  Volume Number: 3a
                  Page Number: 355

Gwyn

Comment

Ah, this might be what you're looking for. Seems like she put her maiden name down as Welch rather than Luscombe!

Births Mar 1919
                    Goodchild Reginald J Welch Willesden 3a 355

Edit: Gwyn beat me to it whilst I was on a phone call!

Also, there are two more children born 1911/14:

Births Dec 1911
                    Welch Louisa E Luscombe Willesden 3a 457
                    Births Mar 1914
                    WELCH Ada A Luscombe Willesden 3a 614
                    Last edited by Richard in Perth; 09-06-14, 09:51.

Comment

Now this one is interesting - from the Andrews Newspaper index on Ancestry:

goodchild.jpg

From my previous post, your Reginald did have a half-sister Ada, born in 1914!

Comment

He might have died in NSW, Australia. Unfortunately the deaths index for NSW only goes up to 1983, so can't confirm the parents names:

Service was conducted at Macquarie Park Cemetery and Crematorium for
                        Reginald Joseph Goodchild on the 30 April 1984
                        Service: Burial

Comment

If that is him, he married Violet Viney Gibb in Chatswood NSW, in 1952. He appears on the NSW electoral rolls from 1954 and 1980. This seems to fit with the date of the "missing relatives" newspaper notice in 1949 - so he could have gone "awol" and ended up in Australia?

Comment

Possibly wife Violet, found by Richard..?

Ancestry® helps you understand your genealogy. A family tree takes you back generations—the world's largest collection of online family history records makes it easy to trace your lineage.

Comment

Ada's marriage (as per the newspaper article):

Marriages Sep 1933
                              Chapman Robert E Welch Hammersmith 1a 759
                              Welch Ada A Chapman Hammersmith 1a 759

Gwyn - Violet died in 1998, she is buried in Macquarie Fields Cemetery with Reginald. Of course, we still don't know for sure that this is the right Reginald, though the dates and middle name seem to fit:

Surname: GOODCHILD
                              First Name: REGINALD
                              Other Names: JOSEPH
                              Type: Burial
                              Date of Death: 22/04/1984
                              Interred Date: 30/04/1984
                              Location Section Position
                              GENERAL LAWN M31 0038

Surname: GOODCHILD
                              First Name: VIOLET
                              Type: Burial
                              Date of Death: 28/08/1998
                              Interred Date: 01/09/1998
                              Location Section Position
                              GENERAL LAWN M31 0038

Oh - and in that newspaper article, it states he was at one time a resident of Watford, Herts - which is where the death of Florence Goodchild was in 1926 (see my earlier post).
                              Last edited by Richard in Perth; 09-06-14, 12:04.

Comment

I keep coming back to this one!

According to a tree on Ancestry, the Violet Viney Morley that Gwyn found on the Mundia site was the mother of Violet Viney Gibb (presumably the one who married Reginald Goodchild in 1952). According to this Ancestry tree, Violet junior was born 1914 and died 1990. No sources or details of any spouse, unfortunately.

Comment

(double post)
                                  Last edited by Richard in Perth; 09-06-14, 13:31.

Comment

Maybe he was in the Merchant Navy prior to his disappearance in 1949? I found a couple of incoming passenger lists that could be him:

Name: Mr R J Goodchild
                                    Birth Date: abt 1918
                                    Port of Departure: Suez, Egypt
                                    Arrival Date: 20 Oct 1941
                                    Port of Arrival: Bristol, England
                                    Ports of Voyage: Suez [Durban] [Cape Town] [Freetown]
                                    Ship Name: Oronsay
                                    (image states: merchant seaman, address: 66 Gladstone Rd, Wallasey L'pool)

Name: Reginald Goodchild
                                    Birth Date: abt 1924
                                    Port of Departure: New York, New York, United States
                                    Arrival Date: 2 Oct 1947
                                    Port of Arrival: Southampton, England
                                    Ship Name: Queen Mary
                                    (image states: seaman, address: 4 Field Way, Stonebridge)

By the way, Stonebridge is next door to Willesden - Field Way is less than 1km from Curzon Crescent, which was his last known address according to the newspaper ad.

Comment

You guys amazre me with your ablity to find these things, Richard from what I understand he was supposed to have been in the merchant navy, and my mum and her family lived in Field Way at about that time so IM thinking you have the right fellow. it would be great to be able to prove that the getleman that lived and married in Australia is the same person, who knows I might have family here that I never knew exsisted. Thanks to you and Gwyn and everyone one else that has inputted to this post. I am truly greatful for all your help.
                                      Gordon

Comment

No worries Gordon. At worst, you may need to wait until January next year to find out if the NSW one was your man. Each January, the BDM index is extended by another year - deaths are currently shown to 1983, which means next year we will get deaths for 1984, and that should include this Reginald who died 22/4/1984 according to the cemetery record. The death entry should show his parents names (assuming they were known by the informant), so fingers crossed that they are what you're looking for! If you can't wait until then, you could always try to get someone in Sydney to check the grave for you, in case there's a headstone (with date of birth would be great!). You could also look in the Sydney newspapers at your local library for a death or funeral notice around the date of his death.

By the way, he appears on five electoral rolls on Ancestry. In 1954 he is at 26 Punch Street, Artarmon NSW - occupation fettler. In 1958, 1963, 1968 & 1980 he is at 211 Bungarribee Rd, Blacktown NSW - occupation railway employee.

Cheers,
                                        Richard

Comment

Working...
                                        X