Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone find a link between these two?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone find a link between these two?

Isaac Barnett b. 1821 in either Westerham or Cowden in Kent or Hatfield in Sussex dies in Westerham in 1906. In his will he mentions his adoptive son Archibald Barnett Saunders. Archibald is living with Isaac in the 1881 census, as just Archibald Saunders, b 1873, Kingsland Middlesex, a boarder. There is a possibility that Isaac is the son of James Barnett b. 1791 from Brasted in Kent.

Meanwhile in 1845 in Westerham, Philip Barnett is born, the illegitimate child of Sarah Barnett and James Saunders. Sarah and James later marry in 1850. Sarah was born in Brasted in 1820, the daughter of Thomas Barnett, who was the brother of the above-mentioned James.

I cannot find a birth for Archibald Saunders. I would doubt that he is the child of Sarah and James as she would have been about 53 when he was born. Philip, who married in 1868 didn't have any children (according to the 1911 census). Is there a connection between these two that anyone can find, and can anyone find Archibalds birth?

Thanks

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Could this be him in 1891?

ARCHIBALD B SAUNDERS VISITOR SINGLE Male 18 1873 STUDENT CHESTER TRAINING COLLEGE LONDON (findmypast) - I guess this will have been the teacher training college.

I can't read the surname of the people he is lodging with in case they're related, neither can the transcriber:

Create an account for free with Findmypast to discover your family history and build a family tree. Search birth records, census data, death records and more.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Red herring?

England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
      Name: Archibald Henry Barnett
      Birth Date: 16 Dec 1872
      Baptism Date: 27 Mar 1873
      Baptism Place: Saint Andrew,St Marylebone,London,England
      Father: William Harold Loodilow Barnett
      Mother: Catherine Shaw

UPDATE: This one is wrong - elsewhere with parents in 1881.
      (Ancestry is being a pain for searching today, keeps changing what I want to look for.)
      Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
        Could this be him in 1891?

ARCHIBALD B SAUNDERS VISITOR SINGLE Male 18 1873 STUDENT CHESTER TRAINING COLLEGE LONDON (findmypast) - I guess this will have been the teacher training college.

I can't read the surname of the people he is lodging with in case they're related, neither can the transcriber:

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/recor...1%2f0020499364

Ancestry have the surname transcribed as Macnamara,
        My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Thanks Caroline - I don't get FMP but managed to find him on Ancestry - does look like him. The people he is lodging with have been transcribed as Macnamara.
          Linda

Comment

Sorry Sue - didn't see your post earlier - thanks for that. Still looking for his birth. One thing that I am curious about is that Isaac left £1558 in his will in 1906 which is a lot of money for someone who was a General Labourer/ Road contractor.
            Linda

Comment

Hi Ozgirl
              I have been looking at this on and off all day, but I can't answer your question, were Archibald & Isaac related in some way. I don't think so.
              Archibald's birthplace varies between census in 1911 he says Southwark. There is a birth reg for Archibald Sanders ( no u) in 1872 J/A/S St Saviour, Southwark which may be him. I think Archibald added the Barnett to his name when he was "adopted" by Isaac & Mary. A lot of orphans from London were fostered out & obviously the foster parents were paid for the child's keep so this may be how he came to be living with them in 1881. He appears to have become an integral part of the Barnett family & was even buried at Westerham which appears to be a family plot. Do you have details of this?
              He registered Mary's death & was an executor for Kate Paulson's will in which he gets a half share of her estate along with Alice Mary. Unfortunately Kate refers to Alice Mary as her sister but "the said" Archibald Barnett Saunders because he was previously named as her executor.

This is Archibald's death notice taken from Andrews newspaper index cards.

Have you looked through these index cards? There is a lot of interesting info about your Barnetts.
              There is also a mention of " settled lands" in Kate's will poss inherited from her father.

I have no idea how Isaac made his money but he obviously owned several houses/cottages which are mentioned in his will.

Moggie

Comment

thanks Moggie, lots of very interesting info there - It sounds as though it would be worthwhile to get a copy of Isaacs will. I have looked at the Andrews index cards previously, but haven't gone through them for the Barnetts, but will certainly do so now.

Thanks for all your help.

Linda
                Linda

Comment

Hi Ozgirl
                  This is a link to my search. Most of your lot are on the 1st page. I haven't trawled through the whole lot so there may be more.

Moggie

PS I think you will get most of the details of Isaac's will from the card index including addresses of properties.
                  Last edited by maudarby; 06-06-14, 16:21.

Comment

Working...
                  X