Esther Bowen nee Davies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Esther Bowen nee Davies

Esther Davies was on the 1881 census aged 20 with her parents in Pontypridd, Wales 1891 Esther Bowen widow aged 30 , 1901 Esther Bowen widow aged 41 with 6 children, three born after she was widowed!. I need help to find a marriage for her please? Looks like her death aged 42 in 1902

sunny r
    Last edited by Sunny Rosy; 05-06-14, 00:12.

The eldest child (Edith) on the 1891 was born c1882, so you would expect her parents marriage to have been before then, i.e. 1881 or 1882. The closest I can find is this one - maybe his surname was mistranscribed when the index was compiled?:

Marriages Jun 1881
    BROWN Robert Pontypridd 11a 484
    Davies Esther Pontypridd 11a 484

In support of this, there is a death of a Robert Bowen of the right age, right district and at the right time (i.e. before 1891 census but after the birth of child no 4):

Deaths Dec 1889
    Bowen Robert 31 Pontypridd 11a 236

For reference, these are the birth references for the four children that are on the 1891 with Esther:

Births Jun 1882
    Bowen Edith Pontypridd 11a 379
    Births Dec 1883
    BOWEN Gertrude Pontypridd 11a 311
    Births Mar 1885
    Bowen William Henry Pontypridd 11a 394
    Births Jun 1886
    BOWEN Daniel David Pontypridd 11a 426

As for the children born after 1891, possibly they were illegitimate? At least two of them appear to have been registered as Bowens, so I don't think they are adopted or step-children:

Births Sep 1899
    Bowen Lavinia Pontypridd 11a 499
    Births Dec 1900
    Bowen Edith Pontypridd 11a 527

Unfortunately my free FMP sub expired today but maybe someone with a current sub could check for that 1881 marriage in the Glamorgan parish registers, also for any baptisms of the children?
    Last edited by Richard in Perth; 05-06-14, 06:25.

Comment

Actually, there are baptisms on FamilySearch that match the four children from the 1891 census, and the father's name was indeed Robert:

Name: Edith Bowen
      Event Type: Baptism
      Event Date: 1882
      Event Place: Glyntaff, Glamorgan, Wales
      Address: Pontypridd
      Father's Name: Robert
      Mother's Name: Esther

Name: Gertrude Bowen
      Event Date: 1883
      Event Place: Glyntaff, Glamorgan, Wales
      Father's Name: Robert

Name: William Henry Bowen
      Event Date: 1885
      Event Place: Pontypridd St. Catherine, Glamorgan, Wales
      Address: Top Graig Wen Farm
      Father's Name: Robert William

Name: Daniel David Bowen
      Event Date: 1886

Plus another one, who died aged 1:
      Name: Robert William Bowen
      Event Date: 1888
      Address: Gelliwaenucha Farm

Deaths Jun 1890
      Bowen Robert William 1 Pontypridd 11a 231

... So, that 1881 marriage is looking quite likely!

Comment

There's a tree on ancestry http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/453...son/6351268926 with this family on it, the connection seems to be through Lavinia b1899 whose father is given as Robert Bowen died 2 Jan1890 - so someone has not joined the dots!

The other death for the child with the same name is shown as 20 May 1890.

Might be worth making contact to see what else the tree owner has that might help.
        Margaret
        Last edited by margaretmarch; 05-06-14, 14:47.

Comment

Well spotted Margaret. Several obvious mistakes on that tree though - it shows the elder Edith dying in 1889 (yet she was on the 1891 census) and Gertrude dying in 1892 (yet she was on the 1901 census). Also, it has Robert senior dying 2-Jan-1890 yet his death was registered in the 4th quarter of 1889. It has Robert & Esther's marriage as 1880, yet Esther was unmarried on the 1881 census (assuming we have the right Esther, of course!). And as you pointed out, the youngest three children could not possibly be fathered by Robert if he had died by 1891! Also, it shows an elder child (Mon Bowen, 1881-1881) yet there is nothing on FreeBMD to match this (could be a nickname I suppose). There is no source information other than for Daniel David's descendants, who appears to be the tree owner's connection (or at least, the "home" person on the tree is on this branch). It could still be worth contacting them, Sunny, but is doesn't appear that they have found the marriage either so not sure that they will be able to help.

cheers,
          Richard

Comment

Thanks for all your help.I did wonder if the marriage with Robert Brown and Esther Davies could be the one I want.Looks likely doesn't it. Will look at the tree on Ancestry too for the info you gave me.

sunny r

Comment

Working...
            X