South Metropolitan District School,Sutton, Surrey, England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Metropolitan District School,Sutton, Surrey, England

Found a rellie in here in 1868 does anybody know if you can order the records online and what they would tell you and if so how ? thanks

Seems they are held at the LMA so you could contact them and ask.
    http://search.lma.gov.uk/scripts/mwi...KING=N&ERRMSG=[WWW_LMA]err.htm&DATABASE=LMA_DESCRIPTION&REPORT=WEB_SUMMAR Y

Have you checked the LMA Schools & Poor Law records on Ancestry?
    Elaine

Comment

I tried looking at the links on http://www.workhouses.org.uk/SouthMetSD/ and got lost!! Nothing came up on the Surrey History Centre but it looks as though TNA might be a good starting point.

Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Sorry - I see my link in post #2 doesn't work.
        Val, start here ..
        http://search.lma.gov.uk/scripts/mwimain.dll/15?GET&FILE=[WWW_LMA]simple_search.htm

and put South Metropolitan District School Sutton into the Search Terms box.
        Elaine

Comment

thanks for the replies I did find the record on Ancestry , but am hoping his papers might tell me what happened to his parents and maybe his siblings thanks again

Comment

brilliant found it on that link Elaine but it says at the bottom of the page

It is not possible to request this item. Please use the microfilm copy if available or consult LMA staff for assistance.

What does that mean please?

Comment

I would imagine it means you would need to visit LMA in person and view the microfilm yourself.
              Elaine

Comment

oh blast thanks Elaine

Comment

I have been looking at this Val. William and Charles Owen and came across something which gave a list of microfilms I think. So many sites for these records not sure where I was at but will look again.

Was the William with Charles Owen yours Val. The one who went of to be apprenticed to Dr Evans in 1865 Seem to remember this coming up previously?

Vera

Comment

hi Vera and thanks for looking I dont know if that William is mine Charles did have a Brother William born 1857 who also disappears till he marries in 1895 ?

Comment

Can't find that page of film refs but you most likely would still have to go to LMA to access them Val.

I noted that a William and Mary Ann Knight arrived in the workhouse at the same time in 1865 - 21st April. Then to the industrial school 27th April. Think that has been noted previously. Both legitimate but Charles Owen a definite for you now is down as an Orphan (arriving at the workhouse 27 July 1865 and industrial school 8th August) so perhaps not connected to the other two.

I've forgotten what I've already looked at but can't remember seeing a record of the Knight children or child entering the Bermondsey workhouse.

Vera

Comment

thanks again Vera , I dont think I would be able to get to the LMA so am going to ring them tomorrow to see if its possible to have them sent.
                        I did wonder if this is Charles's Sibling William in 1871
                        Last edited by Guest; 01-06-14, 21:49.

Comment

Yes Val. That could be him and could also be the William who was in the other record who went to Dr Evans (can't see him in the medical register) as he was not discharged to Dr Evans until 29th July 1871, after the 1871 census.

Your best lead is Charles Owen. Hope the LMA will take a look for you and give some clues as to the parents
                          whereabouts.

Vera

Vera

Comment

Thanks Vera been looking at deaths for the parents as Charles was admitted in 1865 am I right in assuming he would have gone straight there and not been in another place earlier? as if thats so then his Father must have died around 1865 .

Comment

Its likely but I don't think you can assume that Val. He could possibly have been with one of the older siblings. However, as there wasn't just Charles Owen who would have needed to be cared for in 1865, perhaps it was direct to the workhouse for the three of them and 1865 is the date one or both of the parents died.

The workhouse admission record for his entering in 1865 would hopefully reveal a lot but can't see anything else on Ancestry unfortunately.

Vera

Comment

Thanks again Vera I did find a death for a George Knight in Jun quarter of 1865 in Newington which could be the right Father, but there is also one in 1863 and 1864 in Farnham.
                                Do you know I am wondering now if either one or both of the parents were in the workhouse in 1861 ?
                                Might have another look thanks again.

Comment

Maybe your films are at familysearch, and you could order the scan thru their free service?

Comment

thanks for that Photo , just tried and it says to try again as they are having difficulties, shall try agin later

Comment

The link is working now. Here are the first three results:
                                      School registers, 1855-1902
                                      Author: South Metropolitan School District (London). Brighton Road Boys and Infants School
                                      School registers, 1884-1902
                                      Author: South Metropolitan School District (London). Banstead Road School
                                      Register of deaths, 1891-1897
                                      Author: South Metropolitan School District (London). Herne Bay School

Comment

thanks again Photo but now its saying they cannot display results due to technical difficulties??

Comment

Working...
                                        X