Charles Williams 1821 Gloucestershire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charles Williams 1821 Gloucestershire

I'm trying to find information about Charles Williams, born about 1820 in Cam, Gloucestershire. He was married to a lady called Mary, who was also from Cam, and they had four children; Alfred (born 1842), William (born 1849), Elizabeth (born 1858) and Eliza (born 1859). There is almost ten years between William and Elizabeth and so there may have been other children born after William. Because Williams is such a common surname, I've hit a brick wall trying to find Charles and Mary's marriage. Any ideas about how I can narrow things down?
    Betty

I had a quick look in the Gloucestershire BMDs - http://ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/bmd/ - but only one comes up from 1844 - this only covers from 1837 but it might help to find any other births if they were born in Glos.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

This is the link to the Gloucestershire page our Reference Library in case something on there is useful:

Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I can't find a Charles Williams b. 1821 in Cam, but there's one who says b. abt 1820 Tytherington, married to a Mary with children called Alfred, William, Elizabeth and Eliza. They're living in Thornbury in 1851, 1861 and 1871.

The 1851 census says that Mary was b. Cam, and the two boys were b. Thornbury.

Is that the family you're interested in?

STG
        Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Is this Alfred's baptism?

http://www.dustydocs.com/link/13/27746/87972/baptisms-1700-1900-marriages-1700-1900-burials-1700-1900.html

STG
          Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

One of the children's birth certificate should give you Mary's maiden name which would be helpful in confirming any marriage you might find.

Comment

Family Search has the marriage of Charles Williams (b c 1817 - s/o Thomas) to Mary Powell ( b c 1821 - d/o William) on 9 April 1842 at St James, Bristol.

Family Search also has baptism of Mary Ann Powell (d/o of William and Betty) on 5 November 1820 at Cam, Gloucestershire. Charles Williams (s/o Thomas and Elizabeth) baptised 25 Dec 1819 Bristol

Of course could be entirely coincidental but proves need of birth certificate.

Comment

I think the baptism of Charles Williams is more likely to be the one I have found (Glos FHS) at Tytherington on 4th January 1818, parents Thomas (a labourer) and Hester.

scuda
                Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Originally posted by scuda View Post
                  I think the baptism of Charles Williams is more likely to be the one I have found (Glos FHS) at Tytherington on 4th January 1818, parents Thomas (a labourer) and Hester.

scuda
                  I agree. I think that looks much more promising

Comment

Thank you for this lovely information!
                    Betty

Comment

Originally posted by scuda View Post

scuda
                      I've found a marriage between Thomas Williams and Hester Batman/Bateman in 1804 in Bristol. There are children baptised afterwards such as Elizabeth in 1805, Hester in 1811, Thomas in 1815 and, of course, Charles in 1818.
                      Betty

Comment

I think it's very unlikely that labourers/farmers from such a small agricultural community, which has its own parish church, would not be using that church. Boyd's marriage index has a marriage of Thomas Williams to Hester Pullen in 1797 at St James, Tytherington. Charles is at the Morton tything at Cuts Heath (half a mile north of Tytherington) in 1851, 61 and 71. He also seems to be there with his father in 1841...http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/89...nSearchResults
                        Rick

Comment

I agree with you, Rick. The date of the marriage of Thomas Williams and Hester Pullen at Tytherington was 13th April 1797 (Glos FHS).

My baptism information for Tytherington begins in 1813, so (presumably) won't include most of Thomas and Hester's children, but apart from Charles in 1818, as mentioned previously, there is also Eliza, baptised 27th January 1816 (parents Thomas & Esther).

In view of the apparent Thornbury connection from earlier in the thread, it might be worth noting the baptism of Halsey Hyett Williams at Tytherington on 2nd October 1836, mother Eliza, with Eliza's abode being given as Thornbury.

scuda
                          Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Familysearch has the following baptisms for children of Thomas & Hester at Tytherington:

Ruth - 25th March 1798
                            George - 7th September 1800
                            Thomas - 16th January 1803
                            Robert - 15th January 1809
                            James - 23 February 1812

scuda

Comment

A bit more to add to the mix, Williams burials at Tytherington:

Grace, 87, 11th September 1836
                              James, 79, 17th February 1837
                              Sarah, 81, 30th March 1840
                              Emma, 11, 16th June 1840
                              Julia, 8, 14th March 1841
                              Thirza, 7, 13th June 1841

For all the above the abode was Tytherington, the following were from Thornbury:

Hester, 63, 1st December 1838
                              Eliza, 24, 24th September 1840
                              Halsey Hiet, 4, 12th November 1840

scuda

Comment

The births of Charles and Mary's children would be recorded in Thornbury registration district, so the best way of finding Mary's maiden name would be to order a birth certificate. I assume Eliza is the one in 1849 and Elizabeth in 1850. There are two possibles for William in 1849 and Alfred's age is rather variable between the censuses, so getting one of the girls' would be my suggestion.
                                Rick

Comment

Those disks look rather useful Scuda !! I hear that Gloucestershire parish records are due on Ancestry sometime soon too.
                                  Rick

Comment

Yes Rick, I think you're right. You've reminded me that Gloucestershire wills are already on Ancestry, and I think this is probably the will of Thomas, the husband of Hester and father of Charles: http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/42...nSearchResults

(the probate details are on the next page)

scuda
                                    Last edited by scuda; 31-05-14, 16:06.

Comment

That's a good find. So Thomas was alive in 1851 too...http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/88...nSearchResults

His place of birth has been transcribed as Wales, but it looks like Wilts to me. Can't quite make out the place. Funny old world - if you walked in a straight line from where Thomas was living in 1851 to where son Charles was living, you'd probably pass through my garden !!
                                      Rick

Comment

Yes, I reckon that says Wilts Bunhill.

scuda

Comment

Working...
                                        X