Irish Surnames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish Surnames

My family surname is O'Mara but on all the census returns, the surname is recorded as Mara or Marr. Even the 1911 census, which was handwritten by my grandparents, the surname was Mara! So where has the O' come from?
    Betty

Try this link for some information on the name.
    Last name meaning O'Mara: This interesting surname, recorded in the spellings of Mara, Maro, 0'Meara, and O'Mara, has a number of possible origins...

Matt
    My avatar is my fathers father,name unknown.............................

Comment

You have not said where your O'Mara are from originally or if census you have is Irish or English census. O'Mara/O'Meara are often found in Tipperary and as many other O prefixes of Irish origin have been anglicised to drop the O to appear to fit in to English ways. During famine times in Ireland Protestants tried to anglicise the catholic Irish by giving them soup in return for dropping the Irish O prefix. These people were known as "soupers" and you can google search souper for more information. The different spellings are par for the course as the spelling is what the enumerator hears! "Marr" is the pronunciation of this particular name so no prizes for where that name sprang from!

Janet

Comment

I should also have added that the term"Souperism" also applied to those Catholics who converted to Protestant faith in return for being fed during famine times.

Janet
        Last edited by Janet; 31-05-14, 11:36.

Comment

Working...
        X