Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best practice when dealing with step children surnames.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best practice when dealing with step children surnames.

What is the best way to add the surname of children brought into a relationship? As in.. man is married, they have several children. Then there is a separation.. A new woman with previous children enters the family.. the children may or may not be subsequently adopted but they take the name of the (new) father.
    What surname does one enter in the "new child" form? I have been using a Xxxxxxx / Yyyyyy with the original name first followed by the new name. Is there a "correct / better" method?

Thank you for your time

Legacy8.0

Hello Ralph and welcome to FTF

It is accepted in the world of genealogy that a person is recorded by their birth name throughout their life. However, in a situation such as you describe, I would judge which name was used for the longest time and use that, with explanatory notes.

So, for example

John Smith (birth name 1922) but known as John Brown from 1930 to his death - I would probably record as John Brown, with notes to explain he was born John Smith.

If, however, John Smith was only know casually as John Brown during his childhood, because his stepfather was Mr Brown, I would record him as John Smith throughout his life and note the brief "change of name" in the notes.

Official name changes are a different matter.

Married women incidentally, are always recorded in their maiden name, but you knew that of course!

OC
    Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 30-05-14, 15:05. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
    X