Family Tree Maker 2011 glitch - duplicate persons won't merge properly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Tree Maker 2011 glitch - duplicate persons won't merge properly

I have started using Family Tree Maker 2011 and I'm having problems with duplicate entries. The following is one example. In error, I input my grandmother twice. I did not notice for some time, after adding a spouse to one of the entries, and children to the other. When I realised my mistake I merged the 2 entries and ended up with one grandmother in the index on the left. But they haven't actually merged and I still get either showing up in the 'Family' window in the middle.

If I click on my grandmother in the index she shows up with my grandfather in the 'Family' window and no children. But if I click the left arrow by her name to move down a generation the children appear, but my grandfather disappears and it says Add Spouse. If I move back up it stays like this - children listed but no spouse.

If I then right-click on her name to View Details, her spouse and children are both correctly listed. Clicking on my grandfather in the index restores him to the 'Family' window alongside my grandmother - but the children disappear again.

To recap: My grandmother is listed once in the index (as is my grandfather), but sometimes the Family window shows her plus spouse but no children, and sometimes it shows her spouseless but with children. Her 'Details' always show spouse and children.

It's driving me mad! Is this a bug in the program? If so, it's unusable in this state and I am close to abandoning it.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

I think the first thing to do is to make sure that the relationships are correct between husband and wife, and between the parents and the children.
    Start with your grandfather and click on the PERSON tab which gives you a list of Individual and shared facts. You should see a tab for RELATIONSHIPS at the top right of the box - click on that. Check the relationship to your grandmother and all the children listed. If they are not correct, e.g. spouse/biological children etc., then you can amend the relationship status in the right hand column.
    Then do the same with your grandmother - and then do the same with each of the children.

If that doesn't help, come back and I'll think again!
    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
      I think the first thing to do is to make sure that the relationships are correct between husband and wife, and between the parents and the children.
      Thanks for your very prompt reply Elaine. I'm pleased to report that the problem seems to have resolved itself - by just rebooting! So simple it hadn't occurred to me. But thanks anyway - your suggestion did reveal some other errors I had made. I'm learning - and will doubtless have more questions in due course!

Comment

Working...
      X