Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Historian Source Details

Hi again,
    Following replies to my previous posts I have downloaded and installed the trial version of FH. I have also exported my Legacy 7.5 database to Gedcom and imported it to FH.

I'm hoping someone can help me with an issue. In my Legacy database I have a large number of source details, for example for many of the marriages I have copies of the marriage certificate (also for Births and Deaths). For each BMD where I have the certificate I have, in Legacy, entered details from the certificate in Source Details for the Marriage, in the notes of the source I have typed all the text on the certificate and I have also linked, thru the multimedia tab, a scan of the certificate. When I check the exported Gedcom I can find these Source notes but I have no idea where they are in FH.

Does anyone know if FH will import them and if so where they are to be found?

Also where there is a linked scan (of the certificate), would that scan have been imported and where can I find it in FH? Photographs which I had linked in Legacy have correctly been imported by FH, I just can't find these scans.

Many thanks
    Ian

This is exactly the sort of detailed question that the FH user group can help with. It may already have been answered in fact.
    Visit www.fhug.org.uk where you will get a prompt and detailed reply.
    Anne

Comment

Ian

As a recent migrator from Legacy to Family Historian I understand your problem. The interface differences do provide a learning curve.

The location of a source citation depends on what type of source record you are importing from Legacy. If you have a master source for certificates and the individual certificate is a citation (referred to as Method 2 in FH) then you will need to locate the master source. In the records window select the sources tab, select your master source and in the view menu of the main window select record links (near the bottom of the menu) that will open a box with all the citation links for that master source. Select one and click the Go To button at the bottom of the dialog box. That will take you to the record (if you want to see it in the focus window then you need to click the focus icon in the toolbar just under the menu bar.)

If your certificates each have a separate master source (referred to as Method 1 in Family Historian) then again find the source title (technically the short title, it should be the same one that you get in the Legacy Source listing) and this time a double click on the title will open up the property box for the source within which you should find all your textual notes. This box also has a multimedia tab and your source image should be in that).

David

Comment

Thank you both for your replies, both were very useful.

David.... I found the source material where you described however none of the links to the scans appear to have been imported, indeed I don't see anywhere to even add a link to a scan from sources. If you, or anyone else, had such scans linked, was this your experience too?

For me this is quite a problem, I have a lot of scans linked to BMD's and to link them all again (even if it is possible) would take a considerable amount of time and effort.

Comment

Ian

If your GEDCOM comes with the multimedia records linked then they should all turn up as multimedia records. A GEDCOM from Legacy would normally have multimedia records under OBJE tags with a format, filename, title and notes. Other items, generally tags beginning with an underscore may not import - I am not expert enough to say which ones will and which ones won't. These object tags are converted into multimedia records by FH and the OBJE tag then points to a numbered multimedia record

Any images imported should turn up as multimedia records. There are various places to see them but initially I would suggest using the Multimedia window which you can access from the toolbar: Media>View all media. This gives you a list of all the multimedia records, thumbnails, a property box for Title, Note & Keywords and once you select a thumbnail or a record from the left-hand list then at the bottom of the left-hand column you will get a list of the linked records.

The ease of linking new media varies according to what you want to link. Individual, Family and (master) Sources records are simple as you have a multimedia tab in the property box. Linking media to an event is again fairly simple from the Facts tab using the camera icon (show media, which also gives add media as an option). Linking media to citations as opposed to sources is harder as it requires the use of the All tab of the individual property box. If you are going to make the change to FH then the All tab is something to familiarize yourself with as it gives a representation of the data in a similar form to a GEDCOM and is the only direct way to add media to a citation.

David

Comment

I don't know Legacy at all, so I can't comment on the specifics of that program, but the first thing I would do is make sure that Legacy is exporting the media links.

Open up the gedcom in a text editor, something like Notepad++ (http://notepad-plus-plus.org/) but NOT Windows Notepad as the gedcom could be too large for it. Use the search function to look for one of your image file names.

If the editor finds the file name you can be sure that Legacy has exported it, if not then you need to look at how you do the export in Legacy for an answer.

If it has exported it, have a look at how it tags it in the gedcom.

There are several ways to record multimedia in Family Historian, and it is largely a matter of personal preference. I have, for example, a census source record for each household with all of the information about that census entry, which then has a multimedia record attached to it. It appears in the gedcom thus:-

Code:
            1 CHAN
            2 DATE 12 FEB 2009
            3 TIME 20:25:55
            0 @S195@ SOUR
            1 TITL Census 1871 Acton, Middlesex, England RG10/1322/39/16
            1 _TYPE Census
            1 TEXT Name	Related	Age	Occupation	Birth Place
            2 CONT John Nixey	Head	25	Agricultural Labourer	Langley Marrish, Buckinghamshire, England
            2 CONT Lydia Nixey	Wife	23		Hammersmith, London, England
            2 CONT Henry Nixey	Son	1		Hammersmith, London, England
            1 OBJE @O497@
            2 _ASID 1
            This is fairly self explanatory with the source record number @S195@, title and transcription clearly shown. Each fact taken from this census for each individual (e.g. age, place of birth, occupation) will have that source record number attached to it. The multimedia link is the OBJE tag, in this case @O497@ and points to the following multimedia record:-

Code:
            1 CHAN
            2 DATE 2 JUN 2012
            3 TIME 20:33:27
            0 @O497@ OBJE
            1 FORM jpeg
            1 TITL RG10-1322-F39-P16
            1 _FILE Media\RG10-1322-F39-P16.jpg
            1 _DATE 2 APR 1871
            1 _KEYS Picture
            1 NOTE 
            2 _ASID 1
            This contains the link to the actual multimedia file. The discrepancy in dates is because I added or updated the image later. This way if I have two households on the same page (not unusual for related families to live next door to each other) I only need one multimedia record for the image.

If the multimedia links don't look something like this in your exported gedcom, then that is probably where it is going wrong.
            Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
            Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
            Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
            Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
            Devine in Ireland

Comment

To see the Source detail and any multimedia attached to it, the best place to look if you are having problems checking the gedcom directly, is to go to a Fact with a Source record and then click on the small yellow triangle on the source section which will take you to the source record from there you can go to the Multimedia tab to see if you have media attached.

2014-05-28_072352.png
              Jane
              Family Historian User Group : My Family History : My Photography
              "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Comment

Having read thread thought would give it a try and run into similar problem, it looks to be a very good program, but with a long learning curve.
                Have up to now been using FTM, that seems to be a lot more intuitive, but has limitations that FH seems to address, will up to the 30 days continue to give it a go.
                Biggest problem for me at mo is with tying census, pictures etc to individuals, have brought down recommended app but still struggling.

Comment

Don't overlook using Ancestral Sources, a separate application available at the user group site. It has nothing to do with your gedcom transfer, but it will make future entries (census, bmd) much easier.

Also, there are learn-to-use videos on the user site. I think you'll need them!

Comment

Have brought that down, its that have just about all the census records already and while exporting the gedcom it did bring details had with it and put into FH, would like to tie in the actual census image, thats proving very problematic.
                    Will have another look at videos, did not see one that covered my problem but will have another look

Comment

If you have been using FTM then you will come up against problems with media which are not the same as those faced by those coming from Legacy. I have to agree that FTM has a much more intuitive interface for the handling of media and it also has a feature not possessed by either Legacy or FH. Namely, if you attach an image to a source citation in FTM then it is automatically attached to any event/fact etc which links to the citation. That is not the case with FH or Legacy where images attached to sources are not automatically attached to the facts that cite the sources. The images are there - they are not so easy to find!!

The learning curve for FH is steeper than that for FTM but the end result is a program and database over which that you have a major amount of control and which provides the tools to exercise that control; whereas with FTM it is Ancestry (or avanquest maybe) that control what you can do.

David

Comment

Thanks for that explains why have had problems, do understand the advantages it seems to bring, will carry on trying to come to terms with differences, but sadly age not an asset when it comes to learning new things

Comment

If you purchase a copy of Family Historian, then you can use the All media related to in Individual Plugin which will list all the media attached to a person or attached to sources attached to that person. you can then use the List with the Property box to review all the media or select all the records and launch the Media window to view them.
                          Jane
                          Family Historian User Group : My Family History : My Photography
                          "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Comment

Thanks for info, but not being able to see if with app it would enable me to do as want with images, makes it hard to make decision on if to buy or not. Will continue till end of trial to see if can come to terms with learning curve, but at mo think will stick with what have. If was starting from now it is or looks to be way to go, but am not.

Comment

Working...
                            X