Spam box over 130 today???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spam box over 130 today???

Suddenly my spam box is being hit, a very unusual activity as I normally get less than 10 and 130 so far today is there anything I can do without having to change my e mail addy.

Edna

in short, nope

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

OK thanks Trevor

Edna

Comment

If it's in your spam box, then your spam filter is doing it's job!

I get 130 on a good day, so I don't think you have anything to worry about.
        Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
        Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
        Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
        Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
        Devine in Ireland

Comment

I would suggest anyone who gets over 100 spam emails a day should review their web browsing habits.
          I have had an email address that has been used on websites and mailing lists since 1998 and it gets far less than 100 spam emails a day, in a similar manner my business email addresses gets less than 100 spam emails a day.

Cheers
          Guy
          Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

I am one of the most careful people who protects my privacy, telephones and e mails and never before have been invaded like this. I don't trawl the internet, I don't open suspicious e mails, I only mainly use family history websites, I have Norton internet protection which daily protects my computer so why did this happen??? I have recently become interested in a site called Pin Interest and thought it safe, the spam has stopped for now, I do have a facebook account but very few sites and friends. I cant figure where it came from.

Edna

Comment

Edna,

spammers harvest email addresses from many sources, some of which are totally outside of your control (ie: someone else's address book being compromised). Browsing habits may be a factor in some cases but not all..

If they are in your spam folder then all is good, that is what it is there to do, and whilst a sudden leap to over 100 in one day will look alarming, it isn't as long as they are captured.

Ultimately if someone decides to send you spam and it makes it to your inbox, the only thing you can do is mark it as spam in your mail program and let that feedback to the many antispam servers across the web. This in turn will improve the detection rates and help protect you and others by ensuring it is filtered into your spam folder
              https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

I would do what I do for any site like Pinterest, FB etc and that is NOT enter your personal email, but use a specific one set up as an anti spam measure.
                It is easy to get alternative emails from other providers to do this (Hotmail etc) or use a spare one via your ISP, as they often allow you to have 4 or 5 email addresses from them. (I use talktalk and have 5 addresses set up)

I use an email address (skippy5) when ever I joining one of these sites, or a forum etc.
                If I find that I do not start getting spam, I can then change it to my personal one if I wish, but to be honest, I tend to use a personal one for business and friend use and an alternative one for any website registrations

Researching:
                FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Thank you all for your replies, it only happened the one day and it has stopped.

Edna

Comment

I'm am unlucky if I get one spam message a month. ;) My service provider has a spam filter, which they say stops 40 million spam messages a day, so it definitely works for me.
                    Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Working...
                    X