So who was Susanna?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So who was Susanna?

In 1851 Susanna Down is a widow age 77 living with her daughter Susanna and her husband John Martin at Bower Lane Maidstone Kent.I had always thought that she must also be the Susanna wife of Samuel Down living in Hart Street Maidstone in 1841.There is a marriage for a Samuel Down to Susanna Webb at Loose in Kent in 1798. Her daughter Susanna would have been born c 1802. The problem with that is the only one I can find lists the father as Stephen.

I thought I would try and find out once and for all who Mother Susan's husband was so I got a death certificate for a Susan Down aged 81 who was living in Bower Lane and buried in April 1855 .( from FMP)

But now I'm totally confused as it listed her as Widow of John !

Can anyone help please?

Jan

Not sure if I'm reading this right ? but there is a Burial for a Stephen Down age 75 in 1854 in Kent ,so Susanna could not be his widow in 1851 ?

Comment

so your looking at the sussanna who is a widow in 1851. you expect her husband to be samuel, but the death records john. and the only birth for the daughter you can locate is for a father called stephen?

what are the occupations of a) samuel, b) john off the death cert, and c) stephen off the birth you found?
      do they match at all?

re stephen, are there other children of his?

my thought would be if you know samuel's occupation, and it matches that of john's on the death, you have two possibles: stephen may have been stephen john or the informant/registrar made an error. who registered the death?

Comment

Thanks for the replies

In 1841 Samuel Down is an Ag Lab. On the death cert John was a Stone Quarry lab. At the bapt of Susanna in 1802 there is no occupation given for father Stephen.

The informant on the cert is yet another Susanna of Hart Street .The surname isn't very clear but it looks a bit like Henderson. Could'nt find her anywhere , but there was a Susanna Anderson in Hart Street in 1841 and 1851 but no idea who she is.

There was a John Down who married a Susanna Seager in Maidstone in 1790 but I can only find one child John who was born in 1790 and died in 1791.

Comment

i would say she isn't your sussanna then. she's in maidstone, there's a marriage there in 1790, husband is john. and ag lab to stone quarry lab is quite a jump.

Comment

I think you are right Kyle.

I've looked at Down births in Maidstone from 1800 and it gets even more confusing. There is only one child with mother Susanna and father Samuel and that is Samuel born 1805 although in 1841 there is a John age 20 living with them.

With Father Stephen there is
            Ann b 1800
            Susanna b 1802
            Mary b 1803------------ But a Mary died 1804 Pa Samuel
            Stephen b 1807
            William b 1809 ----------But a William died 1811 Pa Samuel
            Robert b 1811
            Charles b 1813------Pa Lab
            Thomas b 1815-----Pa Lab

John b 1817---------Pa lab
            Frances b 1823----------Pa Lab

So where does that leave me??