X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• She must be somewhere ?

Still trying to find my Grandmother in 1911

This is the link from 2009 when I asked before

Susan Janover born 14 May 1901 Lower Clapton Hackney to unmarried mother Lydia Rose born 1872 Mile End

1911 Lydia is in 206 Devonshire Street Mile End by herself

Any help thanks

Not having any luck, Val, sorry.:(

Wonder if she spent time with her mother some weekends and was accidentally left off the list, both mother & aunt assuming she would be on the return of the other's household?

Or, as in the case of one of my lot, newly found-out philanderer, woman who lived as his wife, and their daughter all missing from census, following a big family row after the discovery that there was another "wife," as a result of an earlier marriage. Can't find any of them anywhere, only his son from the marriage, who was being brought up by paternal grandparents.
    I don't know if this omission was deliberate (not wanting to have their domestic chaos/"lies" recorded) or whether it was purely accidental - traumatised wifey seeking refuge with family members, who'd already filled in their form or were too busy mopping up the domestic mess to care about trivialities like census forms.

Could your girl have been with another of mother's siblings, away in a sanatorium, placed in a training school? Which surname did she tend to use? Have you found her in the schools admissions records or any record of her day to day life at this time and the name she used?

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks for looking Janet ,all I know is she was born at her Aunt Cordelia's she isn't with them in 1911, I wish I'd have asked her Son my Uncle before he died as he knew a lot about the family, it was him that told me about her Mother being left at the alter literally.
      The whole family are so complex was hoping she would be with her grandparents but no.
      Ah well maybe I'll leave if for another few years

Comment

Have you managed to find all of Lydia's siblings and in-laws in 1911, so that they can be eliminated as possible hosts for Susan?
        Do you want to give us any names for aunts/uncles of Susan?
        What did Susan do when she left school?

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

hi Janet yes found all Lydias Siblings,except one he seems to disappear, but you seriously dont want to look for any of them these are my Guttentags , they change their first names and surnames.
          But thanks for the offer, I might put another thread up looking for the death of one of Lydias Brothers though

Comment

Bit of a stretch but nothing else coming to light. Looking at the Susan's and as you say there could be a name change.

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

Susan Jackson aged 10 b 1901 London Middlesex
            Inmate
            St Elizabeth's (RC) Industrial School, Salisbury, Wilts.
            For the children whose parents unable to care for them.

The records are held at the London Metropolitan Archives 1913, 1919

Vera
            Last edited by vera2013; 25-05-14, 03:31.

Comment

Thanks for trying Vera but dont think thats her , as she was born at her aunts I did think I would find her there , would have thought Lydia would have stayed there too instead of living by herself.
              Dont worry I reckon she was hidden.

Comment

People did hide! My great grandfather, who was jailed for abandoning his family in 1892 is NOT on the 1901 or the 1911 census. Then he re marries in 1912 and lives in Manchester until his death in 1930.
                Anne

Comment

The baby I can't find in 1901 turned up in 1911, living with her maternal aunt & husband, who brought her up. She had their surname, was recorded as daughter and was attributed as having had the same place of birth as their two children (an older girl and a younger boy.) They had taken her as a baby, her mother married in 1902, had two sons (half-brothers to my girl, but always regarded as cousins) then died in 1907 - the girl stayed with the aunt, but married under her birth name.

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Thats interesting Anne and Janet.
                    I know my other nan did not mention her baby on the 1901 census and called themselves Lester instead of Miller, took me ages to find them , and I know they were always hiding from the rent man.

Comment

Working...
                    X