Obtaining Certificates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obtaining Certificates

I am going to send for a certificate of someone who was born in the st pancras area of London in 1910 which at that time was part of middlesex. Is there a local records office for middlesex does anyone know?

Alternatively can you ring the GRO and order a certificate and ask them to do a check? I tried to put a check in place on line but the option didn't come up

Thank you

Gill

Have you checked Ancestry to make sure it isn't on line first Gill?
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

If I have got this right, it looks as though they are held at Camden now and you can ring - see the link -

Comment

Sorry, just checked and it says phone IF it is less than 3 months ago. Otherwise on line. May still be worth asking though.

Comment

I do know that most London/Home counties offices will not deal with historic certs and refer you onwards to the GRO.

The GRO will do a check - but you cannot use the automated ordering system for this, you have to either phone or write to them, so that a human being can deal with your request - the computer is too stupid to do it unaided!

OC

Comment

Chrissie - are you suggesting you can view a birth certificate on ancestry or have I totally misunderstood what you are saying?

Comment

Originally posted by Gill D View Post
              Chrissie - are you suggesting you can view a birth certificate on ancestry or have I totally misunderstood what you are saying?
              That was just a possibility Gill, as the birth is early. I know they have quite a lot of London marriages on there. I have seen baptisms but, now I come to think of it, I haven't actually seen a birth cert. Though it does list births on the search page. If you tell us the name we could have a look.
              Failing that, OC is right, you can explain and give checking point to the GRO if you ring up. That might be the easiest thing to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                That was just a possibility Gill, as the birth is early. I know they have quite a lot of London marriages on there. I have seen baptisms but, now I come to think of it, I haven't actually seen a birth cert. Though it does list births on the search page. If you tell us the name we could have a look.
                Failing that, OC is right, you can explain and give checking point to the GRO if you ring up. That might be the easiest thing to do.
                If you give all the information you have and it doesn't match the record you are requesting GRO will not issue a certificate and you get a full refund - they stopped the reference checking a couple or so years back as it turned out they had not legal right to charge for checking - all they can do is issue or not!
                Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                  If you give all the information you have and it doesn't match the record you are requesting GRO will not issue a certificate and you get a full refund - they stopped the reference checking a couple or so years back as it turned out they had not legal right to charge for checking - all they can do is issue or not!
                  Margaret
                  Yes that is due to the 1979 Sale of Goods Act Section 13 (1) that requires goods to comply with the description.

"13Sale by description

(1)Where there is a contract for the sale of goods by description, there is an implied condition that the goods will correspond with the description."

Cheers
                  Guy
                  Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Working...
                  X