Don't you find it confusing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't you find it confusing

When people keep marrying people with the same name. Researching the husband of one of my rellies, (she was his 2nd wife). The first wife was called Martha Fairbairn, b. 1843, d. 1878, then my rellie, then in 1900 he married his 3rd wife who was called.... Martha Fairbairn!

So I went onto another line, and this time my rellies first wife was called Alma Maxine, known as Maxine. She died in 1950, but then I find a newspaper report of a burglary in their home, in 1958, where he and wife Maxine were tied up and robbed - I assume he remarried but cannot find any trace of the marriage.

Maybe it's not the person they like but the name :D
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

For ages I had a woman who appeared to have given birth to 3 children in her 60s, with a mistake in her age on the census (in her 40s).

I eventually found out that the man had been widowed and married a girl 22 years his junior with the same first and middle names as his first wife, and the same village of birth.

Very confusing!
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

Comment

I wept with frustration because I simply could not sort out three men in my tree, who I assumed must be grandfather, father and son, all marrying a different woman of course - except that grandfather and grandson appeared to be married to the same woman and she was busy giving birth for 49 years.

AT LAST I managed to find monumental inscriptions and by drawing up a time line from those, discovered that the three men were in fact only one man, married three times, and "the same woman" was actually two different women of the same name! This man had 21 or 23 children over three marriages, the youngest child born when the oldest was 49 and a grandfather many times over himself.

OC

Comment

I'm just working on an odd thing. Man and woman marry, both with very distinctive names. Two children born with correct mother's mn in the same town.
        Father then dies (haven't got the cert but almost certainly him from name and age.)
        Five and seven years later two more children are born on the other side of the country with the dead man's surname and same mmn. (No re marriage found)
        Many years later mother dies in the second town aged 90 still bearing her dead husband's surname.
        Am presuming (must get some certs!) that she moved away and lived with someone else but because they didn't marry her current surname and original maiden name still apply!
        Anne

Comment

Working...
        X