Flying Scotsman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying Scotsman

I found my Great Great Uncle`s headstone in the Civic Cemetery in Berwick on Tweed, with the inscription `The Flying Scotsman ` on it . I can`t find anything on him at all to do with the train, or was he a runner . He lived two streets away from Berwick station . Is there any website where I could find information ? Grateful for any help . No contact with any family member . His name was Albert Purves b 1886 died 1961 ,Berwick , wife Ellen White .
    EP

I think I would start by looking in the local newspaper for an obituary.....probably not going to be available online though.
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

AnthonyM,
      I found his death notice in Berwick Archives ,but it doesn`t mention anything about his connection to the train. I wondered if there was any publications listing crew members . i have looked but nothing so far .I am pretty sure there wasn`t a lot of marathon running in the 60s, so he could have been a driver, guard ,etc.
      Thanks
      EP

Comment

Were his parents Scottish? That sort of name appled to a person usually implies athletic ability.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

*Sighs*

I have two ancestors who supposedly drove the Flying Scotsman.

Extensive research revealed that one of them never went near a train, much less drove one. He did however operate a stationary engine in a factory......

The other one got a bit nearer to trains - he was a train cleaner therefore possibly cleaned the Flying Scotsman.

OC

Comment

Christine ,
            He is English , born in Berwick ,Northumberland .
            OC The fact it is on his gravestone would indicate he was proud of his connection to something , but what ?
            Last edited by julip; 16-05-14, 23:38.

Comment

Perhaps he was a fan of the Loco?
              Anne

Comment

Oh but there WAS quite a lot of running in the past! Not necessarily marathons, but there were lots of running clubs etc. Mind you, I would have expected that to be mentioned in an obituary.

What was his occupation?

OC

Comment

Ann ,
                  The train would pass through Berwick maybe 2 or 3 times a day ,so possible .
                  OC On 1911 census he is listed as Brewery Worker at age 16. Beginning to think there is no connection to the train , so maybe he was a runner , and that was his nickname . Would be nice actually , I have done a few half marathons myself in the past ,till my hip gave out .
                  The next time I am in Berwick Archives I might just have a look in the Newspaper Archives and see if he was a member of a running club .
                  Thanks for your suggestions
                  EP

Comment

I'd have thought this site would be worth a try if he was a runner:

National Union of Track Statisticians Home Page

Eric Liddell (Chariots of Fire) was known as the "Flying Scotsman" of course).
                    Caroline
                    Caroline's Family History Pages
                    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

What was his occupation on his death cert? If he was still a brewer, then maybe the Flying Scotsman was the name of his pub!

OC

Comment

There was a regular named train between Edinburgh and London, in each direction, called the Flying Scotsman. There was also a separate locomotive named the Flying Scotsman, which occasionally hauled the train of the same name but obviously many other locomotives hauled it too. So there’s really two separate railway aspects to consider.

Having said that, I feel it was more likely to be your great uncle’s nickname.
                        Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

I too think it likely to have been a nickname. You would refer to someone as test pilot OF Concord, captain OF QE II, being OF formula one fame etc rather than attributing just the name of the inanimate object.

Jay
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

...and I've just discovered there is a beer by the name of the Flying Scotsman!

OC

Comment

Caroline , Had a look through the list on your website ,but no Purves mentioned in any of the dates.
                              OC , Couldn`t find a pub in the area , but good idea ! I don`t have his actual death cert, just a death notice . Will look for that .

Janet and Elwyn , I do think if he was connected to the train they would have been more specific . Of course as he lived in Berwick the connection would have been obvious .

Looking more and more likely it is a nickname .

Appreciate all your suggestions

EP

Comment

Working...
                              X