Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is the wife!!!

Malachi A A Stark born Q4 1884 Devonport Devon

His registration of marriage (Q1 1905 Devonport 5b 546A) can be found at http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/89...l=ReturnRecord

It is the third of four hand writtem amendments at the foot of the page

What I am unable to find is a corresponding entry for the wife.

Looking at the 1911 census (http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/23...l=ReturnRecord) we find Malachi with his wife Emily and three children in Cwmbwrla, Swansea.

So the wife is called Emily. Working backwards and trying to find the marriage of an Emily to a Stark in Q1 1905 Devonport, there is a record but it is the marriage of Emily Loisa Waldron to a Robert Stark (http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/89...l=ReturnRecord).

Are Robert and Malachi the same person!!!. If they are not I have not yet found the relationship between the two of them.

To add further confusion to the matter, in the 1911 census why is the name of the eldest child Elester Stark amended to Naldron / Naldson / Maldron / Maldson. The only Elester I can find a birth record for in this time period is Elester Waldron Q4 1904, Devonport. But Emily Waldron married Robert Stark, not Malachi.

All very confusing. Suspect the marriage certificates would shed the required light on this matter but cannot afford to get them at the moment. Any one any suggestions as to what might be going on!!!

Thanks

Dermot

Several trees on Ancestry have him married to Emily E Naldson.

There seem to be 3 children, one before marriage in 1904 (Elester Naldron) and 2 after, Matilda & Kathleen Stark.

Not looked for any of the original records, but it might be a starting point.

Of course they could also have all copied from a single tree that is wrong!
    Last edited by PeteW1959; 16-05-14, 20:17.
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

Comment

The alteration to Eelster's surname on the original image of that 1911 census looks like Waldron to me. I think the most likely explanation is that Emily Waldron married Robert Stark whose name was amended to Malachi on an extra page (546a) inserted next to page 547.
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I'm wondering if it is just a mistake on the index? There are TWO Robert Starks marrying on that page but one of them marries in Berwick on Tweed - seems highly unlikely to me!

OC

Comment

I have looked at this from all angles for the last couple of days Dermot and I came to the conclusion that the marriage to Emily Louise Waldron is most likely the one. Of course only the certificate would help to give you proof. Elester was born Waldron in Dec 1904 in Devonport and is listed in their family as daughter, which is a great clue and she appears to have used the name Stark when she married. I don't know why Malachi was listed originally as Robert, then added as Malachi, probably some kind of mix up.
          The other Robert Stark who married in the same quarter in 1905 looks to have married Agnes Scott, as there is a Robert Stark listed in Tweedmouth in 1911 with a wife Agnes and states married 6 years.
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Working...
          X