I'm confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm confused

Can anyone explain why a couple born, lived and married (after banns) in Dumfries in 1836 would have an announcement of their marriage in the Carlisle Standard the following week? We've been looking at this couple for very many years and this is the first mention of anywhere outside Dumfries we have for them before the groom's death when the family move to Merseyside.
    Cath.

Sometimes, newspapers pick up announcements from others so that could be why.

Also maybe some relatives of one or other of the couple's families lived in that area?
    Margaret
    Last edited by margaretmarch; 16-05-14, 13:52.

Comment

I've found all sorts of items copied from one newspaper by another, I've even found items and announcements in Australian newspapers on Trove copied from british ones.

Comment

I can't answer this directly obviously, but I have also come across family announcements that appear to have no relevance as far as my knowledge extends at this time, I do wonder if they had some form of syndication in those times too.
        Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

I have also found stuff in papers everywhere not just where it happened.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I just found it strange that it doesn't appear to be in their local paper.
            Incidentally, it says that the groom is in his second year as an apprentice. Is there any way I can find out more?
            Thanks.
            Cath.

Comment

I have found, in US papers, obits that will say "<city-name> papers, please copy" - I've assumed there was a family member living in that city. If only I knew who that was!
              Last edited by PhotoFamily; 16-05-14, 15:29. Reason: clarity

Comment

Carlisle and Dumfries are not that far apart!!
                Anne

Comment

I lived in Dumfries for a few years and you cannot get out of Scotland without going through Carlisle, so I don't find it odd that things happeneing in Dumfries would have been reported in Carlisle.

OC

Comment

Working...
                  X