Cigar Divan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cigar Divan?

I am just wondering if anyone has come across this?

I have found a distant relative on the census, occupation tobacconist, address Railway Cigar Divan.

Doing a Google search I think this could be a shop selling cigars with a smoking room, does anyone know whether I am on the right track or is it more likely that he just sold cigars.

I have looked in the wiki but there is nothing there.

I know it's not life threatening but I am interested to know, in my head I have a mix of opium dens and Bensons for Beds!
    Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

this is a link to a site with old occupations cannot find a Cigar Divan
    Dictionary of Old Occupations index page. The A-Z lists in this glossary show name and definitions for well over two thousand old occupations, jobs, trades and professions researched by Jane Hewitt.

Comment

Can you give us the reference so we can look at the entry ourselves?
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

ooh here is an interesting link
        havana cigars,cigar bars,simpsons,cigar divan,boisdales,cuba,cohiba,scotts,drones,london,macclesfield

Comment

Thank you Val, that is interesting and confirms what I thought, as I was reading individual entries on google and didn't find that one.

Little Nell, here is the entry
          Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 317; Folio: 18; Page: 31; GSU roll: 818894

or link to Ancestry... other genealogy sites are available

see Henry Pye
          Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

I was surprised to find there was one in the street where my Husband lived

Comment

It's amazing what pops up at times and what you learn within a hobby. I had never heard of these under this name, but I suppose it is like the 'coffee shops' in Middle Eastern countries where the men congregate and smoke shisha pipes.
              Bubblebelle x

Comment

poor souls need somewhere to relax unlike the hard working women

Comment

Well you live and learn. I'd never heard of this before. I suppose it was like a smoking lounge and they used the word "divan" to sound exotic.
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I would imagine the men smoked a cigar or two in our Coffee shops years ago, cannot imagine them just wanting Coffee??

Comment

It would be interesting to know what coffee would have been like in far off days. All the products then would have been very different not least water. I wonder if Mr Pye held a license to sell spirits etc.

Yes Nell it was a new one on me and I am waiting for Pointless to have some suitable category to pluck it out of the ether. Looking about the internet, cigar divans do continue in Cuba and I found some in the Far East, maybe that was what made me think of opium dens.
                      Bubblebelle x

Comment

Working...
                      X