System Restore is no more?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System Restore is no more?

A couple of years ago we bought a notebook and were advised to back up the system to a memory stick before we did anything as it didn't have its own system restore. I though this was just because it was a notebook.

When we were browsing all-in-one desktop PCs the other week we were told that we'd have to do the same with one of those.

If this is the case I think it's a huge backward step as a memory stick won't have any restore points anyway, only factory settings.

Can someone who knows explain if this is the case please?
    Rose

It is still there apparantly.

Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Interesting. I'm on the notebook now and have gone into system tools and there is a system restore there so I wonder what are these people in the shop are on about?! I bought a huge GB memory stick for about £15 and it seems I needn't have done!
      Rose

Comment

Windows system restore just keeps a backup of settings, not the whole operating system.

What you are talking about backing up to a memory stick is the entire Windows installation. In the past a PC would come with a Windows install disc, along with discs for any installed programs. Now there is a restore partition on the hard drive (hidden from Windows so no point in looking for it) that you can use to clean install the computer.

It is this you are advised to back up to a pen drive in case the hard drive fails.
        Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
        Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
        Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
        Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
        Devine in Ireland

Comment

Oh, I see. I think... lol. If I understand correctly: if I buy a new computer and it starts acting funny I will still be able to restore it to a safe date (if that's the term) but if my hard drive crashes and I haven't got the pen drive back up, I'll need a new comp rather than just a new HD?

Sorry to sound thick Pete
          Rose

Comment

You almost have it!

You are right about the restore to a safe date in the event of changing settings or installing bad software.

If your hard drive fails you will need a new drive (less than £100) but without the pen drive backup you will need to get hold of a copy of the correct version of Windows, along with any other programs the computer came with (Office, for example).

Any half-decent computer shop should have an install disc as long as you have the original serial number and registration code (usually a sticker on the computer case), but it takes time and increases the cost; much simpler to just re-install from the pen drive.

You would also need the pen drive backup if your system got really screwed up (some viruses actually delete the system restore points, or worse still embed themselves so that a restore also restores the virus) and need to do a 'clean' install of Windows.
            Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
            Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
            Devine in Ireland

Comment

Thanks Pete, I think I've got it now. Could I also just buy another windows OS and have that put on the new HD, if the worst happened?
              Rose

Comment

Yes, you can just buy another copy of Windows, but why lay out £100+ when you can just keep a backup on a pen drive?

This applies particularly if you just need to restore if the operating system gets really messed up.
                Devine in Ireland

Comment

Thanks very much for your help Pete :-)
                  Rose

Comment

Working...
                  X