Help with handwriting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with handwriting

I'm interested in the last entry on the attached page concerning James McShea. I think I have deciphered the name of the defendant but would like to see what others think. I'm not sure of the name of his barque though so any help appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Christine
    Attached Files
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

too small for me to read sorry

Comment

Like Val I am unable to read it. I did download it but when I try and enlarge, it just distorts. Could you perhaps provide a link?
      Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

That was my first attempt attaching a document so apologies it turned out to be unreadable...
        Link from findmypast.ie (or a FMP world subscription should allow you to view it either, I would think:
        Create an account for free with Findmypast to discover your family history and build a family tree. Search birth records, census data, death records and more.
        Researching:
        HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Okay here goes

James Mc Shea of Creevy complainant

Capt ? Preillick Barque possibly Ahte defendant

Unlawfully refuses to pay complainant sum of £1 due for wages

? Fined or Paid for £1 and 1 or 2 shillings costs
          Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Capt H M Dreillick
            Barque "ahte"
            Defendant.

Barque "ahte" is the name of a ship (a barque is a ship with three or more masts)

This looks like James McShea was suing Captain Dreillick for wages he was owed.
            Last edited by PeteW1959; 15-05-14, 21:53.
            Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
            Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
            Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
            Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
            Devine in Ireland

Comment

Thanks all, it was only the Captain's surname and the name of the barque that I wasn't 100% sure about. I make it Capt F M Dreillick and the barque name as "Ahte". The verdict is Decree for £1 (ie payment of wages due) and 2s costs.

James McShea was my great-great grandfather, a fisherman, who drowned along with two others while out fishing in Donegal Bay in 1881. He was married in 1875 leaving three young children and a widow behind. His father, Patrick, my 3G grandfather also drowned in Donegal Bay. This is the first indication I've come across that James McShea may have worked for others rather than with other local men from Creevy townland.
              I now have more general questions - What's odd is that Dreillick is such an unusual name, as is Ahte - even googling just the surname doesn't really get me anywhere on the origins. Any suggestions as to nationality? Would a three-master be suitable for fishing or would it be more suitable for some other type of work at sea?
              Thanks.
              Christine
              Last edited by Karamazov; 29-01-22, 22:02.
              Researching:

Comment

I haven't looked at the original, but is there any chance that "Ahte" could be "Kate"?

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Think the surname Dreillick could be Swedish but that would mean he was a long way from home in Donegal

Comment

'ahte' sounds german, but could be something else, like christine mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                      I haven't looked at the original, but is there any chance that "Ahte" could be "Kate"?

Christine
                      No, it is "Ahte" - the handwriting is pretty straightforward throughout, it was only the unfamiliar words I wanted to doublecheck/confirm via this thread.
                      Last edited by Karamazov; 18-05-14, 07:49.
                      Researching:

Comment

Working...
                      X