Outstanding Service from GRO at Southport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outstanding Service from GRO at Southport

At the end of last week, whilst searching for an Isaac Raymond born 1830, I came across a reference under Find My Past. It was under the GRO Marine Deaths Indicies (1846-1902) and listed an Isaac Raymond on Page 380. There was no year of death. I telephoned the GRO and ordered a copy of the death certificate. On Monday morning a lady from the GRO telephoned to ask if I knew the year of death. I explained I did not. I had seen this chap on the 1851 Census though.

It turns out that there is a register for each year for Marine deaths (I thought there would be one which covered the years in question).

Today Wednesday a copy of the death certificate arrived for Isaac Raymond who died in 1855 at Rio de Janeiro.

I think in this case the GRO at Southport did an outstanding job in tracking down Isaac's death. They deserve all praise for their work.

Thank you to the lady and gentleman I spoke with.

Off now to see what I can find out about H.M.S. "Madagascar"
    Linda - Happy Hunting

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Linda have a look at this, not your man but right ship and 1855 maybe your man is buried there too ?
    http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...GRid=125032975&

Comment

Wow thanks for that Val. The Captain of the Madagascar in 1855 was a James P. Thurburn - I wonder if this was his son. The ship was being used as a store ship in Rio De Janeiro. It had 46 guns and a compliment of 315 men. Bet conditions were not nice. The ship was sold in 1863. Still digging for further information on Isaac. Shall look at naval records next.

Thanks for looking up stuff. Kind regards.

Linda
      Linda - Happy Hunting

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Comment

Working...
      X