An almighty quest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An almighty quest

I have a lady that I need to trace but all I know about her is that she's called Mary, is 100 in November, lives in the Care home round the corner and was brought up with my Great Grandfather Charles F Peacock who was born in 1907 when her parents died.

There's a rumour that she's a Dack relative somehow but I've searched for the children of Charles' Dack Aunts/Uncles and there's no Mary there.

Oh and she has 2 Daughters which I daren't name to be safe, even if I only know their first names. I can't really ask the lady herself as she has Dementia and I've only ever seen the 2 girls at Nanna's funeral or walking about Stockton Town Centre with Dad.

How on earth can I solve this puzzle?
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

If you are able to talk to her you may be surprised at what she may remember, although it may be more ethical to speak to her daughters before you speak to the mother. If she was with your GGrandfather is she in the 1911 census? and Mary may be a middle name.
    Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

You could write a letter to the Family of Mary* (the care home should know who Mary with the centenary year birthday is)and explain who you are and what you hope to achieve from their knowledge and also explain that you are drawing up a family tree which you could offer to share the relevant details with them.
      Ask at the care home if they could pass on the letter to Marys daughters.
      I know they will tell you that they can not give out information on any of their residents but I am sure they would like to help if they can.

Edna

Comment

I do have 2 born at that time frame:
        Elizabeth Winifred Dack- 1915/1983 Parents are William Walter Dack & Annie Mary Cox.
        Her cousin E A Stubley (See E above) 1915, no death found. Parents are Robert J T Stubley & Mary Ann Dack.

I also haven't found any children of Mabel Dack, born in 1883. No Marriage or Death found yet.

I will write a letter, thank you for that advice Edna.

Comment

If the family allow you to talk to her, they may be interested in being there, too. Dementia usually leaves older memories for longer than more recent ones (hence the reason why people start to think that familiar faces must be their brothers and sisters, or even their parents, rather than their children). A conversation about your Great Grandfather might trigger other memories and allow them to learn more about her while she is still able to share the information.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I see two possible children, but not one named Mary. There's Charles E F 1912, and Jessie I 1916.

Comment

How dumb am I? I thought I'd read your query regarding Mabel on the thread ' World War One Centenary and FTF'. Sorry for the confusion - I've had a bad day! ;)

Mods: please feel free to move to Lennons other thread.

Comment

if this mary is 100 in nov this year, then her parents can't have died in 1907? or did you mean your great great grandparents died by 1907?

do you know this woman, as in could you go to the nursing home and ask for mary x, or do you only her christian name?

dementia has a few forms, but they affect short term memory becoming long term memory. so she will likely have many memories from her distant past, but they could be muddled.
                Last edited by kylejustin; 14-05-14, 06:21.

Comment

Originally posted by susan h View Post
                  How dumb am I? I thought I'd read your query regarding Mabel on the thread ' World War One Centenary and FTF'. Sorry for the confusion - I've had a bad day! ;)

Mods: please feel free to move to Lennons other thread.
                  Done. Caroline
                  Caroline
                  Caroline's Family History Pages
                  Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                    if this mary is 100 in nov this year, then her parents can't have died in 1907? or did you mean your great great grandparents died by 1907?

do you know this woman, as in could you go to the nursing home and ask for mary x, or do you only her christian name?

dementia has a few forms, but they affect short term memory becoming long term memory. so she will likely have many memories from her distant past, but they could be muddled.
                    Kyle I think 1907 is when Lennon's gt-gdfather was born, rather than the year when Mary's parents died. (This makes him 7 yrs older than Mary, although the two of them were brought up in the same household, after Mary's parents died.)

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Jay is correct Kyle, I also think that you may be right about the Dementia as my Mum's Godmother has it and she always thinks that Mum is in fact Nanna. I can see Nanna in Mum but there's a weight and hair difference until I look at pictures of Nanna when Mum was a child and I think it's Mum, if that makes sense.

There is one person who may know but I am extremely reluctant to visit her. She's the HB of the family (Keeping up Appearances TV Show, I won't name in case there's actually a person that exists with that name)

Comment

Update- Dad actually saw our mystery person's daughter today, her birthday is 10th November but she may not make it as she has been rather ill lately :(

After that he didn't think it appropriate to ask how she was related which I understand.

Comment

Update: It is with some sadness that I report that our mystery lady sadly passed away at some time yesterday.

Comment

So the Evening Gazette obituary's came out yesterday and it turns out I DID have our mystery person in the tree! I'd have posted the online link here but there's a lot of live people mentioned.

Frances Dack married Thomas Peacock and had Charles in 1907. Her sister Mary Ann Dack married Robert J T Stubley and had another Charles Robert born in 1912 and Elizabeth Ann born in April 1915 but I've now realized that's when she may have been registered.

I found the daughter of Elizabeth and I found the marriage of an Eliza M to a John H ____. Dad always thought that Aunt Mary had 2 Daughter's but the obituary's show that it's actually her niece instead, he also thought last night that Eliza's husband may have been called Harry so maybe he himself went by his middle name as well?

A quick search now shows that Charles R died in 1920, Robert J T died in 1921 and Mary Ann died in 1924.

Comment

Working...
                            X