Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overseas Marriage

Do they have them on FMP?

Looking for a marriage c1935-1941 - doesn't appear in England & Wales and did try Scotlandspeople but no luck.

Husband killed in 1941 and his wife is named as next of kin so there must be marriage somewhere?

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

FMP has indexes to overseas marriages, but there will only be a record if it was an armed forces marriage or one which was registered through the local British consul/high commission. Such registration wasn't compulsory so you may or may not find something.

Being named as next of kin or wife doesn't always mean a legal marriage has taken place - I have just done some research where a "Wife" was even named as such in a will, and inherited, but there was no evidence that a marriage ever took place ( in fact plenty of evidence that it didn't).
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thanks - she carried on using her married name for years after she was widowed. Believe she moved to Canada on 1950's so don't know what happened after that.
      Last edited by JBee; 13-05-14, 12:00.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

If you post the names, I'm sure people will have a look for you
        Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
        Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

His name was Donald Urquhart Lowson b1913 d1941 and married a Rita May ? between 1935 and Sep qtr 1941.

He's with his parents at 28 Rusland Rd, Harrow Harrow in 1935 with no sign of a wife. He joined the RAF when ? but was killed in 1941 over Birmingham.

I have Rita travelling to Montreal in 1952 (can't see her returning though) and then travelling to New York in 1954 age 40 aboard the Queen Elizabeth stating she intended to stay permanently in Canada. Her previous permanent address was not in the British Isles but another country of the British Commonwealth.
          Last edited by JBee; 13-05-14, 14:24.

Comment

There is a Donald U LAwson marrying in 1940. Maiden name of Hughes ... Q3 1940 in Hendon.

Create an account for free with Findmypast to discover your family history and build a family tree. Search birth records, census data, death records and more.

Yes it's her- it LOWSON as spouse on her transcription:

Caroline
            Caroline's Family History Pages
            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thanks so much Caroline - how did I miss that?

Lowson does get transcribed Lawson - I've seen it on other trees and they've got stuck.

Comment

Here's the ancestry link: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...iv=1&ml_rpos=1

But the "find the spouse" won't work of course and it won't let me put Rita into the spouse box.

Oh, even with their current hiccups, I do prefer FMP these days.
                Caroline
                Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by JBee View Post
                  Thanks so much Caroline - how did I miss that?

Lowson does get transcribed Lawson - I've seen it on other trees and they've got stuck.
                  It was easy on FMP because all I had to do was tick the variant box. Ancestry didn't pick it up at all ....

I often have to find Lewcocks so am used to looking for Lawcock, Lowcock etc.
                  Caroline

Comment

I carried on testing the systems and I eventually persuaded Ancestry to spit it out by going to the specific Marriages page and gradually moving the slider right over to the left (Broad search). That gave me the surname - however, I still had to search again with Rita Hughes to confirm it.

On the other hand with FMP you go to the Marriages page, tick surname variant, put in spouse name and there is the marriage.
                    Caroline

Comment

Thanks for the info about searching Caroline - I'm finding it harder and harder to get results with ancestry -

Comment

Working...
                      X