Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is FreeBMD the one others are judged by?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is FreeBMD the one others are judged by?

Researching a Family yesterday, a marriage in particular, I looked through FreeBMD as the Primary Source for such research but couldn't find any reference whatsoever...........likewise with Ancestry.
    Perhaps my information is wrong? All I know is that a Harold J Norman was born 3 Qtr 1911 in Pontypridd. His mother's maiden name is shown as 'Cutts' so I assumed that if I looked for a marriage some time before 1911 between a 'Norman' & a 'Cutts' that I'd get a 'hit.'........................it didn't happen.
    It could be my fault/ignorance so I would appreciate some advice please.

Could be a mis-transcription. Have you tried doing the same search but putting a tick in the Phonetic Search Surnames box?

STG
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

And, of course, another possibility is that Mr Norman and Ms Cutts didn't marry in England/Wales and that's why they're not on the index.

STG
      Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

You're quite right 'STG'...............there's a few possibilities.

Comment

maybe they married sometime after son was born?
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Oh - when you posted about Mr Norman before, I had a look. I did find a Norman/Cutts marriage but in Yorkshire in 1880ish. At the time, I dismissed it as it seemed to early, but remember wondering about miners moving around.

Here it is, in case it's useful - safely in My FMP Records:

In case you don't have FMP: Barnsley Q2 1882 MARY HANNAH CUTTS and GEORGE NORMAN
            Caroline
            Caroline's Family History Pages
            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

That's thrown the cat amongst the pidgeons Caroline.................................I cant help thinking that 2 families are mixed up.
              Thanks for the post.

Comment

Ms Cutts could have been married twice - her maiden name would remain the same, but when she married for a second time her surname may have been something else. (i.e she was Mrs XX rather than Miss Cutts)

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

https://familysearch.org/search/reco...ar%3A1910-1912~ A couple of options showing here Alan for the birth

Edna

Comment

Janet & Edna, thanks.....................my head hurts so I'm taking a break.

Comment

Originally posted by AlanC View Post
                      Researching a Family yesterday, a marriage in particular, I looked through FreeBMD as the Primary Source for such research but couldn't find any reference whatsoever...........likewise with Ancestry.
                      Perhaps my information is wrong? All I know is that a Harold J Norman was born 3 Qtr 1911 in Pontypridd. His mother's maiden name is shown as 'Cutts' so I assumed that if I looked for a marriage some time before 1911 between a 'Norman' & a 'Cutts' that I'd get a 'hit.'........................it didn't happen.
                      It could be my fault/ignorance so I would appreciate some advice please.
                      FreeBMD as good as it is should never be thought of as a primary source. If anything it is a tertiary source, being a third/fourth level source at best (register, superintendent registrar, registrar general, FreeBMD). The entry may not have reached the GRO (the index FReeBMD is based on) or it may have been mistranscribed in one or more of the incarnations. Try searching the superintendent registrar's indexes.

In addition being an index it does not really qualify as a source, the register entry (either local (primary) or GRO (secondary)) would be the source.
                      Cheers
                      Guy
                      Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

....and finally! Freebmd is not complete.

OC

Comment

my great grandma's maiden was coates, on my gran's birth, it was listed as 'cates' in the GRO index. ordered the birth from the local RO, and it quite clearly 'coates'. so i would say 'cutts' is likely to be a mistranscription.

Comment

Guy, FreeBMD is the first place I look and I know its incomplete OC but I began that way and too old to change.
                            I'd like to know how to access Superintendent's Registrars Indexes please.

Comment

It's a case of visiting the Superintendent Registrar's office and asking to view the indexes.

Online some of the indexes are on http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/
                              Cheers
                              Guy
                              Last edited by Guy; 13-05-14, 16:19. Reason: deleted/many
                              Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

i find freebmd the easiest and quickest way of finding what i want. it's always the first port of call, unless i have something specific from the more recent registers to locate.

Comment

Yes, I agree, it is the easiest place to look first BUT that does not alter the fact that it is a work in progress and therefore it is not complete. If you can't find it on Freebmd, that doesn't mean it didn't happen, so you will have to look somewhere else.

OC

Comment

Hi Alan, do you still have access to FMP? If so here's a likely baptism for Harold, I still haven't found a marriage though

Comment

And the marriage would be this one.....Mar 1904, Bridgwater, 5c 503. However the bride is Mary Jane Hunt, maybe she'd been married before.

Comment

Working...
                                      X