Spider Solitaire on Win 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spider Solitaire on Win 8

I'm absolutely bereft. I have had to move onto Win 8 but I didn't realise that I wouldn't be able to still get my Spider Solitaire. I think it MAY be available but only in app form and I have my computer set to start up on a screen like Win 7 and not the app view.
    Does anyone know if I am understanding this correctly please? I'm afraid I need everything spelt out in a very easy to understand way (totally computer illiterate) :o
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

I suspect that I have answered my own question. I found someone else on Google asking the same question and the only way was to download an app. When I tried though I ended up with the new type screen and it's taken me ages to get out of it. I am REALLY going to miss my Spider and I think hubby is going to miss his computer when I keep 'borrowing' it to play spider on:(

Comment

Yes Val, that's the one

Comment

Hi Chrissie

Try this link http://www.123freesolitaire.com/download.htm this is a free light version of Solsuite and contains 3 Spider solitaire version. If you go to the link scroll down and make sure that you download 123 and not the trial version of SolSuite (which incidentally is a great buy).

The main (only!) disadvantage of 123 is that it does not keep game statistics - or at least it didn't the last time I used it.

If you Google Spider Solitaire there are numerous free versions, including some which you can play online.

David

Comment

Thank you for trying David I got quite excited when I thought I could have one, but when I tried to download it McFee security said it was a potential risk and that it had quarantined it or something.

Comment

Hi Chrissie

I think McAfee is taking the view "It is from the internet so potentially unsafe" and it is not my place to argue with that.

Going back to your problems with the full screen on Windows 8. Tapping the windows key on your keyboard should switch you from full screen to desktop and another tap will reverse the process.

If you have upgraded to Windows 8.1 (it's free and if you have not done it then you should) then the most recent update Update 1 through automatic updating addresses some of the problems you have. You can tell if you have that update by the presence of two icons on the top left of the screen - one for power and one for searching. To get back to the point (sorry) if you have that update then move your mouse to the top of any full screen app and a old style windows bar will drop drop with a close button at the top left which gives you a fast close down without all the rigmarole of grabbing the top of the screen and pulling it down to the bottom.

David

Comment

Thank you very much again David. Have now installed Win 8.1, which along with a multitudes of updates has taken until now to complete. Now I just need to download Spider - I hope
              Another problem though - I have ended up with a dark screen and no amount of pressing Fn and F6 has helped. Even though the brightness is supposed to be at it's brightest. Before all this the screen was bright enough half way up.

Comment

Chrissie

I guess you are using a laptop from your comment about F6. I am not, so I am a bit in the dark (sorry!) about the laptop settings. The main problem seems to be a hardware driver issue.

One solution from How-To Geek http://www.howtogeek.com/107173/disa...reen-problems/

and a second, more drastic but perhaps ultimately better solution from Yahoo Answers

David

Comment

Thank you again David for all your help. Unfortunately those problems have now been solved by my hubby pressing refresh and taking the whole computer back to how it would have been before the computer supplier had set it up the way I wanted it - nuff said

Comment

Working...
                  X