Land ownership

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Land ownership

I was told that land or a farm in Essex was given to my grandfather, and most likely in the 1950s. He died in 1959, and there is no specific mention of it in his Will, and nor is it in the Will of the lady who was supposed to have given it to him. I remember collecting rent in the 1960s, so my family must have owned the farm cottages at that time. I wondered if the land/farm was given to my grandfather as a gift during the lady's lifetime, but I can't find any papers anywhere and am just fascinated about it. There is nothing at Essex Archives. Land Registry can only help if I have dates. Does anyone have any idea where I could find information relating to ownership?

Could he have been the tenant of the farm? It may been the tenancy that he was left for the duration of his lifetime.
    If he was the tenant of the farm, this could have included a couple of cottages, making him the landlord (or agent for the landlord) and eligible for collecting the rents.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Can you give us any more details about the farm/land. Where was it and does the farm still exist? Did the lady in question die before your grandfather?
      Moggie

Comment

megsnan if you have the details of the farm but don't want to post them up on this thread then you can send them to someone by clicking on their username and sending them a private message select it from a drop down box.
        Farms were in my family too but tenant farmers who passed the tenancy down the family line and in one will I have the farm was split in two and sold to two son in laws who had to pay into the inheritance fund for the will to be paid out.
        Depending on where the farm was you may be able to check all the documentation on it if you can get to the record office for the area.
        I have been unable to do this for my family farms but have the wills that I have found on line.

Edna

Comment

Working...
        X