address look up please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• address look up please

scott street.JPGcan anybody find this address in 1841 and 1851 should be either in Bethnal Green or maybe Surrey
    Thanks

Scott Street - Bethnal Green

1841 census ref: HO 107/691 - book 9 - folio 38>43
    This Page is [ARCHIVED CONTENT] and shows what the site page http://yourarchives.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php?title=Place:Bethnal_Green_Registration_District,_1841_Census_Street_Index_P-S looked like on 21 Feb 2013 at 23:32:17

1851 census ref: HO 107/1541 - folios 197>203
    This Page is [ARCHIVED CONTENT] and shows what the site page http://yourarchives.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php?title=Place:Bethnal_Green_Registration_District,_1851_Census_Street_Index_P-S looked like on 21 Feb 2013 at 23:32:17
    Elaine

Comment

Any good?

FMP 1851 -7 Scott Street

Create an account for free with Findmypast to discover your family history and build a family tree. Search birth records, census data, death records and more.
      Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

FMP 1841:

Scott Street, Bethnal Green. Houses are not numbered:

Create an account for free with Findmypast to discover your family history and build a family tree. Search birth records, census data, death records and more.
        Caroline
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

thanks very much I did put Scott on FMP in the street address but no hits? maybe I shouldn't have put 7.

Comment

I started to type Scott Street in the filter box. It came up, I selected it, it appeared under the box. I typed Bethnal in the parish box, chose the only one that came up, it appeared under the box and then I pressed search and as you didn't specify a name, just chose one of the images at random. Same on both 1841 and 1851 pages except that I went back a page to get to No.7 on 1851.
            Caroline

Comment

I just cannot get used to FMP now, there does not seem to be a box for putting place of birth on the census records searches ???

Comment

From the A-Z of Record sets

1841 England, Wales & Scotland Census

1851 England, Wales & Scotland Census
                1861 England, Wales & Scotland Census
                1871 England, Wales & Scotland Census
                1881 England, Wales & Scotland Census
                1891 England, Wales & Scotland Census
                1901 England, Wales & Scotland Census
                1911 Census For England & Wales

The boxes are on the individual search forms - ignoring Birth Place and using Birth Town works best.
                Caroline

Comment

Using the 1881 census search form from the A-Z of Record sets, how would you find all people born at Todmorden?

Comment

Using the 1901 census search form from the A-Z of Record sets, how would you find all people born at Todmorden?

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Field View Post
                      Using the 1881 census search form from the A-Z of Record sets, how would you find all people born at Todmorden?
                      With difficulty.

I have never said the new system is perfect and as you know, oddities like this have been reported and are being acted upon.
                      Caroline

Comment

Using the 1871 census search form from the A-Z of Record sets, how would you find all people born at Todmorden? These are not oddities, Caroline. These failures are more the norm within these record sets. Occasionally it works but more often than not, it doesn't.
                        Last edited by Glen Field; 12-05-14, 09:41.

Comment

I thought I had found a problem, early on in the move, with address searching on the 1911. I knew the address, it was an unusual surname so it would be easy to use it to check the system wouldn't it!! First problem was not being able to force the name of the road to stick when I searched. Having tried that for ages, swore at the new system that was clearly rubbish and settled down to scroll through the images ... I just put in the name of the parish and pressed search. Right at the top of the page was a long list of people with no first or last name. The dates looked familiar as did one of the first names at the bottom of the list, so I clicked on the image. As soon as I saw the image I remembered - this was my family but their page was so badly damaged as to be 99% illegible over the names. It was so long ago that I had originally tracked them down, that I had forgotten that it took me forever to find them before - they didn't actually appear at all on the listings then either for person or address and I had had to go through the images one by one until I found them.

My point is that yes, there are problems/oddities/anomalies/wonky programming/mistakes, or whatever you would like to call them, which are being reported and sorted and clearly taking rather longer then we would like, but how many users used what they had already found to test the system and assumed that they would immediately find it again whereas they had forgotten it was something they had difficulty finding before too because of mis-transcription etc.
                          Caroline

Comment

My point is that I cannot understand how people in your position can readily recommend the use of a system that does not work consistently or reliably. It would be more appropriate for you to explain the definciencies to your members instead of directing them to a very hit and miss section. If and when you are certain that what you are recommending does actually work, all of the time, after having checked it out thoroughly, then it would be fine and helpful. Anything else could be described as irresponsible.

Comment

My point is that I cannot understand how people in your position can readily recommend the use of a system that does not work consistently or reliably. It would be more appropriate for you to explain the definciencies to your members instead of directing them to a very hit and miss section. If and when you are certain that what you are recommending does actually work, all of the time, after having checked it out thoroughly, then it would be fine and helpful. Anything else could be described as irresponsible.
                              If our members ask for help with a particular site or situation, they will be given help for that. As you saw at the top of this thread, a question was asked, a search undertaken and the results posted. Had there been none that would have been posted instead. The links were to respond to a specific question. They may or may not prove helpful to the member.

We are not here to act as agents for or against any site or to bang any particular drum for a point of view. In fact that would be against our Terms and Conditions, as I am sure you will have noticed when you joined us yesterday:

"Family Tree Forum respects what other forums and websites have to offer. Do not try to degrade or discredit other forums, their administrators and moderators, or their members. This includes slander and other offensive comments."
                              Caroline

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                                I just cannot get used to FMP now, there does not seem to be a box for putting place of birth on the census records searches ???
                                Struggling to get the hang of FMP searches ... glad I've only taken out one months subs!!
                                Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

Comment

Originally posted by LeicestershireLass View Post
                                  Struggling to get the hang of FMP searches ... glad I've only taken out one months subs!!
                                  I am just updating the Helps post: http://www.familytreeforum.com/showt...=1#post2494233

If you need more to get the most out of your month's subscription, then just ask and we will try to help if we can.
                                  Caroline

Comment

Scott Street still exists in Tower Hamlets (covers E1 which was Bethnal Green in the past)
                                    London A-Z would have it - can't find ours at the moment!
                                    How old this street is, is another matter - I think Bethnal Green was heavily bombed in WW2 and many people from the East End were re-housed in Carshalton, Surrey on the St. Helier estate (pretty sure there isn't a Scott Street there but not 100%)

Sue

Comment

Re Reply #15
                                      You have read far more into what I said than what I actually did say. I was not trying to do, or suggesting that anyone else should do, any of the things that you have pointed out would be in breach of your terms and conditions. I was referring only to the means of searching for a place of birth that you had detailed in your earlier answer. It does not work consistently and my point was that you should have said so instead of implying, in your answer, that it was the way to do it and that it worked better if the box for Birth Town was used. In some cases you are right but in many, if not more, others you are wrong. I believe that anyone who sets themselves up in a position to give advice to others has a responsibility to ensure that the advice given is entirely correct and reliable. In this instance you should have added some qualifications to your answer to make it clear that it was by no means a foolproof method, assuming that you did know that before you gave the answer, having previously checked it out thoroughly. That was the point that I was making - nothing to do with other websites or forums.

Comment

Re Reply #15
                                        You have read far more into what I said than what I actually did say. I was not trying to do, or suggesting that anyone else should do, any of the things that you have pointed out would be in breach of your terms and conditions. I was referring only to the means of searching for a place of birth that you had detailed in your earlier answer. It does not work consistently and my point was that you should have said so instead of implying, in your answer, that it was the way to do it and that it worked better if the box for Birth Town was used. In some cases you are right but in many, if not more, others you are wrong. I believe that anyone who sets themselves up in a position to give advice to others has a responsibility to ensure that the advice given is entirely correct and reliable. In this instance you should have added some qualifications to your answer to make it clear that it was by no means a foolproof method, assuming that you did know that before you gave the answer, having previously checked it out thoroughly. That was the point that I was making - nothing to do with other websites or forums.
                                        Perhaps you missed this bit? "ignoring Birth Place and using Birth Town works best." Since I had no idea what Val wanted looking up then what more was there to say? It worked for me ....

If you feel that you can offer better help to the original question about where the place of birth is on a census page, please feel free to do just that. That is what we are all here for isn't it?

Anyone can post a question and anyone can offer help/point them in the right direction or in this case show them the page - we are not here to do the research for them, although if somebody is stuck then we will hunt things down for them.
                                        Caroline

Comment

Working...
                                        X