No announcement yet.

GRO Marine Deaths Indicies (1846-1902)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRO Marine Deaths Indicies (1846-1902)

I am trying to track down an Isaac Raymond born August 1830 at Whitchurch. The only trace I can find of his death (and I'm not sure its him) is on the GRO Marine Deaths Indicies (1846-1902) Isaac Raymond Page 380.

If I send off for a death certificate to the GRO what sort of information would I be provided with from the Marine Deaths.

I did find an Isaac Raymond unmarried and working as an Ag. Lab born in Whitchurch on the 1851 Census. He was working for a George Dennis a farmer of 224 Acres employing 6 labourers at Parish of North Petherwin. Again I am not 100% certain this is my chap. My Isaac had brothers who moved away from Devon/Cornwall. One coming north to Co. Durham and another off to Australia.

Would welcome your comments on would it be worth sending for a death certificate. Many thanks.
    Linda - Happy Hunting

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

looks like that one could be him , not sure what details the cert would contain.

Comment

Thanks Val - think I shall just have to stump up the money and send for a certificate. Thank you for responding.
      Linda - Happy Hunting

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Comment

just had a look at the 1851 census on ancestry he is mistranscribed as Rymand I reckon thats him

Comment

this couldnt be him in Massachusetts could it in 1860

Comment

Wow - what a very helpful chap at the GRO. I did try to order the certificate online but their standard form just doesnt cater for the information I had. Telephoned, could not get through first time because they were busy. Tried again and got through. The chap was excellent. Now just wait and see what happens.

Will keep you posted.
            Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

Good one Val - age is about right. Will try and follow USA Isaac up. Thank you.
              Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

Followed Up Isaac in America. Looks like he married in Massachusets in May 1856. Unfortunately parents don't match and he was born in Devizes, Wiltshire. Unfortunately for him looks like he was killed on the 7th May 1864 (Civil War) as a Private in the US Army.

Amazing what comes up when you search Ancestry World Wide.

Thank you for looking Val.
                Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

Trouble is, if he died at sea and was NOT a crew member, the information given could be "best guess" and way out, based on what scant information was recorded about passengers.
                  You might have to dig around to see what parallel Isaac Raymonds & variants you can find and then try to check them through various census returns and passenger lists to see what happened to each of them.

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Linda from Murton View Post
                    Wow - what a very helpful chap at the GRO. I did try to order the certificate online but their standard form just doesnt cater for the information I had. Telephoned, could not get through first time because they were busy. Tried again and got through. The chap was excellent. Now just wait and see what happens.
                    Last time I ordered a marine death certificate the GRO form adapted itself to show the fields which matched the layout of the info in the register. From memory it was year of death and page number.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks for responding Janet and Uncle John. I had the page number but no year of death. Will just have to wait and see what the Certificate says then take it from there.
                      Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

Originally posted by Linda from Murton View Post
                        Thanks for responding Janet and Uncle John. I had the page number but no year of death. Will just have to wait and see what the Certificate says then take it from there.
                        Sometimes a marine register covers several years, so the GRO folk are used to vague info.
                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                        X