Australia Immigration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australia Immigration

Hello, Can anyone advise me whether when people emigrated to Australia after 1967 had to fill out family details upon arrival on some sort of registration? If so is this information available and from where? Also does anyone know where I can obtain a death certificate for a death in Australia?

Thank you for any help you can give.

Lingy

We came in 1970! What sort of "Family Details" were you thinking about?

Comment

Do you know which state you want the death cert for? Can you put up any details...or pm me if you prefer.

Comment

pm is a personal message which can be send by clicking on the persons username and it will give a drop down box offering send this member a personal message, a box will appear and message can be written then click send

Edna

Comment

Originally posted by clematised View Post
          pm is a personal message which can be send by clicking on the persons username and it will give a drop down box offering send this member a personal message, a box will appear and message can be written then click send

Edna
          Thanks Edna.....

Comment

it depends which state the death took place in as to how lenient the laws are around obtaining one. victoria has a 10 year closure of death records, NSW and QSLD have 30 years.

Comment

For immigration, try the National Archives of Australia:

Comment

Hello Ann, Parents and sibling details hopefully

Thanks

Elaine

Comment

Hi,

Melbourne. We know Martin John Higgins born 1925 is deceased and was cremated at Springvale Cemetary Melbourne on 31 Dec 1992. I am hoping by getting details from his death certificate it may help with regard to next of kin, parents etc. His past is a mystery . Thank you
                  Last edited by lingling; 07-05-14, 13:02. Reason: wanted to add more

Comment

Lingling

There's no Martin John Higgins birth registration in England and Wales, but there is a Martin Higgins in 1925 - mmn is also H, suggesting he might have been illegitimate - reason for secrecy about his past?

Did he marry? Do you have any idea where in the UK he was born?

OC

Comment

Hi OC, This is what I know. Martin was born on 27 Feb 1925 to mother Mary Higgins no father named. There is a man who registered the birth and the only person I can find with that name for the UK is about the same age as Mary. Mary was a Laundress living in Leigh Lancashire. Martin was born in Atherton, Leigh, Lancashire. He married Margaret Stamp (dcd) who is my partners mother. They had two other children although we only found out that the brother was Martins last year as he had Margaret's 2nd husbands name. Martin married for the 2nd time in Lancaster in 1967 and then emigrated to Australia shortly afterwards. The 2nd wife is alive and I spoke to one of her relatives who contacted her but she was not that helpful. She confirmed he had sisters in London but we only know that one was called Margaret but don't know a surname or whether she was older or younger. On the marriage certificate to margaret he quoted a John Crookes as his adopted father a hotel manager but I have no idea where from. On my partners christening card one of his godparents is M Higgins (we don't know who). On the 2nd marriage no father was quoted. There is no marriage I can find that Mary married John Crookes. I am now completely stuck. Mary Higgins was popular in Lancashire so I have loads who could be possible mothers. I was hoping that his death certificate in Australia could help but as I am in the UK I have no idea how to go about finding out. My partner would really like to know about his dad as once his dad left there was no contact. We know at the time of his death that he was living with a lady and he also married someone in Australia but as I have no access to records there I don't know if she or the lady he was living with are still alive and if they can help. I know the father of Martin is probably never going to be known but even if I could manage to find out a bit more about his mother or his sisters then that would be a bonus. Thank you Lingy

Comment

So you actually do know quite a lot about him and his past isn't much of a mystery!

You say a man registered his birth. Only certain people can register a birth, so what was his qualification? (Mother/father/present at birth/medical attendant/inmate of the house).

OC

Comment

This is very speculative indeed, cobbled together by place and time, lol.

I looked for a Margaret Higgins but could only find one, who was registered as either Higgins or Gore, meaning her parents weren't married to each other. I then found a Higgins/Gore marriage, but the bride was Sarah, not Mary. however, keep that one in your back pocket for later.

names removed - possible living people
                          Copy of original post sent to Lingy by PM

As I say, very speculative and could be more than one family anyway (although I can only find one Higgins/Robinson marriage). If you wanted to pursue this, you could get the marriage cert and see what it says!

OC
                          Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 08-05-14, 07:26. Reason: names of possible living people removed

Comment

This tells you how to apply for the death cert

Remember the info is only as good as the informant....so if they didn't know, then it may be either missing or wrong.

You could email the cemetery......I searched and his ashes were collected...

Comment

Oops, sorry Elaine! Got carried away. Thankyou for sending the info in a pm.

However, I'll repost the marriage here in case anyone else is following the thread as these people must be dead - they would have been married 87 years!

1927 - James Robinson to Mary Higgins, Leigh RO or Registrar Attended. Appear to be five children of this marriage including a Margaret.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC I have come across the surname R before but wasn't sure however I have found someone on Ancestry who has them in the tree and have emailed them although as they haven't been on for ages I don't hold out much hope but then again I didn't hold out much hope for Martin's 2nd wife either an wham a few years later she pops up. The person who registered the birth was only put as an informant if I remember rightly. No reference to father but then he could have been and didn't want to be on the birth certificate. I will look out the certificate and have a closer look. Thank you for your help.

Comment

Thanks Harry's mum. I have checked and the cemetery have said who it was and this is the person he was living with. They then said they could not divulge more information even though my hubby is his son due to DPA. I will have a look for the death certificate. Really appreciate your help. Lingy

Comment

Had a chat with Hubby about that. He says not a lot of info given about the families.
                                    Siblings didn't come into it at all.
                                    Sorry! Not much help, eh?

Comment

Hi Ann, It is helpful because I now know it may not give me much information. Thank you for checking and letting me know. Something will crop up one day which will piece the puzzle together. It would be a lot easier if my hubby's sister gave us information but for some reason she says she doesn't know and then lets slip a snippet of info after I have found it Families can be very strange at times. Have a good weekend.

Comment

As they say in Yorkshire - "There's nought so queer as folks"

Comment

Working...
                                        X