X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FREE offer - 1mths World Sub to FMP - Expires midnight 5 May 2014

Sorry about the late notice, but I only heard about it myself today

HOW TO CLAIM

Simply CLICK HERE to claim your free one month World subscription to findmypast and enter the code FAMILY in the voucher code box. You will need to register in order to claim your free subscription. Offer expires at midnight on Monday 5th May, terms and conditions apply, see website for details.
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Thankyou, this will be a great help.

Comment

Thank You

Comment

Many thanks a huge help for me.
        Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Thank you, that will be brilliant
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Many thanks from me too - a whole month to scour US newspapers

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks SmallTownGirl.

Comment

Sorry to be a doubting Thomas, but I've just read the Ts&Cs at the bottom of the offer page and was dismayed to read this;

"Searching records on the website is free but a subscription is required to view, save or print any of the records."

So not really a sub at all, just 1 month's access to searching unless I've misunderstood the meaning of that sentence. I can't try it myself as I've already got a sub at present.
                Last edited by GallowayLass; 05-05-14, 15:40.

Comment

Thank you so much for this link SmallTownGirl.

I have just found the passenger list of my Mum's immigration to Canada as a Canadian serviceman's wife. It has been crossed through (but still legible) as she didn't in fact go to Canada and my Dad came to England to live instead. I knew about this, but never expected to find documentary evidence.
                  So thrilled to see the document.

I have managed to save and print out the document .
                  Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 05-05-14, 15:39.
                  My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

With all the problems people are having on there since the so called improvements I am not surprised they are doing this as lots of us have unticked the automatic renewal choice.

Comment

Originally posted by LangleyValeSue View Post
                      So thrilled to see the document. I have managed to save and print out the document .
                      Looks like it does work then, and I've been wrong in my interpretation!

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                        Sorry to be a doubting Thomas, but I've just read the Ts&Cs at the bottom of the offer page and was dismayed to read this;

"Searching records on the website is free but a subscription is required to view, save or print any of the records."

So not really a sub at all, just 1 month's access to searching unless I've misunderstood the meaning of that sentence. I can't try it myself as I've already got a sub at present.
                        It is a free month's subscription as far as I can see, so you should be able to save, print etc. - be warned however, that at the moment you can't save or print newspaper articles, you will need to do a screen print for that. Hopefully, that will be fixed during the month's trial!!

This is what the FMP's Ts&Cs say from the link in the offer:

Getting access to the records: You can search the historical records on the website for free, but to view most records or use some features of the website you will need to buy either PayAsYouGo credits or a subscription, or use a voucher. You can also take a Free Trial. You have to register with us and be signed in to buy credits or a subscription, use a voucher, or to take out a Free Trial. You can buy vouchers from our voucher stockists. A contract between us begins when we send you a confirmation email, after receiving your order and accepting your payment or voucher code.
                        Caroline
                        Caroline's Family History Pages
                        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I will be delighted if they fix the newspaper saving problem - this worked ok for UK based subscribers in the old site but worldwide based subscribers have always had this issue and they've done sweet nothing about it. I have a US based sub and for the past 1yr 9 months, I have to find the news item I want then send the reference to a friend with a UK based sub to save the image for me and email it.

Now that all subscribers are getting the US style front end with "improvements" and are losing out on a previously working facility, FMP may actually fix it at last if enough folks complain loud enough.
                          Last edited by GallowayLass; 05-05-14, 16:05.

Comment

Many thanks STG
                            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Well done STG. Looks like a busy time ahead.
                              Many thanks .

Matt
                              My avatar is my fathers father,name unknown.............................

Comment

Thanks so much for letting us know - I still managed to get a free month yesterday!

Comment

Originally posted by Bertie View Post
                                  Thanks so much for letting us know - I still managed to get a free month yesterday!
                                  Nice one, Bertie !

STG

Comment

I was so cross yesterday when I realised from this thread that I was one day
                                    over FMP's 5th May deadline. This morning (7th May) I saw that Bertie had
                                    been successful and gave it a go ... and it worked!

Thank you very much for spreading the news.

Koromo

Comment

Great news Koromo.

STG

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I've been spending many fruitful hours over the past couple of days frantically downloading Welsh & Shropshire parish register images. One thing I can't find on the site is any sort of list of what counties/parishes are covered by actual images, as opposed to just transcriptions (many of which came from the old FamilyHistoryOnline website, if I recall). Can anyone tell me if I'm missing anything apart from the Welsh & Shropshire images?

With the newspaper articles, I use a screen capture tool (PrintKey2000) to snip the relevant article from the screen, then save as a jpg. I find this is actually an advantage, as I don't really want to save a whole page, or even a whole column of newsprint for what is often just a few lines from the family notices.

I must say I don't particularly like the search function on FMP - not that the new Ancestry search is much better, but at least with Ancestry you can search on parents names, spouse name, etc. This is a great advantage when searching for baptisms/marriages for common names. Can't see how to do this on FMP. Also you can't seem to filter out certain record sets - i.e. GRO index results (again for common names, it is very annoying to have hundreds of results from the GRO index mixed in with other search results, especially since the GRO index is available for free elsewhere anyway). Is there any way of turning off certain record sets, as opposed to actively selecting particular record sets (for which you need to know that the record set exists and what it is called)?

cheers,
                                        Richard

Comment

Working...
                                        X