It's like pulling teeth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's like pulling teeth

Someone I know vaguely asked me if I could help her find her brother.

I asked for his full name, age and anything else she could remember. She told me his name and that he had lived in London but didn't know his age.

I had a good search and then asked her again if she had ANY idea of age, she comes out with I know he's 39 but I don't know when he was born!!!!!!

There were only a few choices and one had a fairly uncommon middle name I asked her if this could be him and she said it was.

At least I then know I've got the correct one. So I looked it up on Electoral Role and found him only up to 2007. I sent her the address and explained this to her..

The she comes back with.................That's the address he lived at with my Mum when she died, he moved shortly after that.

This has taken about a week to sort out, back and forth

I think I am giving up

Linda
    Last edited by Loopy Linda in La La Land; 04-05-14, 08:54.

Linda

I had one of those! I was helping a friend's elderly mother - she wanted to know if her father had been previously married. He had a very very common name. Eventually I found one who might fit, but he was in the merchant navy. Yes, she said, dad was in the merchant navy. Right. More months of searching but the only thing I c ould come up with was a man in WW2 who was in the RAF. Yes, she said, he was in the RAF in WW2.

He had eight brothers and sisters. But it can't be him in 1911 because the youngst sister was called May, not Mary (the other sibs were correct).

The final blow to my research though, was when I very hesitantly approached the idea that her mum and dad had not actually been married - mum had a most unusual maiden name and there was no sign of a marriage, especially where it was supposed to have taken place. "Oh, I know they weren't married, mum told my sister on her deathbed".

Eventually, after I could find no more (very common surname, think Smith, at least 800 possible marriages for him) she thanked me and told me not to bother any more as she was going to pay a proper researcher!

OC

Comment

Goodness me Oc.

That was terrible. I love the way you tell them something you have taken a while to find out and they say 'Oh yes I know that'. It was funny at first but my good humour is diminishing rapidly.

Linda

Comment

had a right giggle at this sorry but some people honestly

Comment

Glad you were entertained Val :D

Linda

Comment

I know you weren't Linda:( ,but does make funny reading

Comment

I must ask her if the "proper researcher" managed to narrow down the 800 possible marriages...and how they would know if they had found the right one.

OC

Comment

I feel your pain
                Some years ago I tried to search for my friend's mother's long lost cousin. I collected all the info she had, and set about searching. The cousin had a common name, and the most likely fit had a twin sister, something which had certainly not been mentioned. Originally I discounted her, but after a lot of checking I was as sure as I could be that this was in fact the right family. I was quite excited to share this, but as soon as I said 'I've found out ......... was a twin', my friend's mum said 'Oh I already knew that'

Comment

OC and how much he charged her

Comment

Hi Val...I can certainly see the funny side of it now but at the time...well lol

I especially liked the 'I don't know what year he was born but he's 39!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Linda
                    Last edited by Loopy Linda in La La Land; 04-05-14, 22:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                      I must ask her if the "proper researcher" managed to narrow down the 800 possible marriages...and how they would know if they had found the right one.

OC
                      It must be the right one - he charged me ££££.
                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

grandparents would do that to me a lot as a teenager. gran still does occasionaly.

Comment

At least they the older generation this lady was in her 30's lol

Linda

Comment

Working...
                          X