Nurses in World War 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nurses in World War 1

Would there be any records for a woman who served as a Nurse in the first War ? thanks

Should be - pretty sure there's something online... to an extent, anyway. Could be mixing it up with something, but I thought that there was something in TNA's catalogue. The sort of things that's turning up on Ancestry and FMP, now.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine ,so would I find something in Military records ?
      Last edited by Guest; 30-04-14, 21:38.

Comment

TNA have quite a bit - whether you find anything will probably depend on where your nurse served, but some of the records can be quite detailed ...

Start with the information here:

Last edited by AntonyM; 30-04-14, 21:45.
        Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
        Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

thanks a lot Anthony

Comment

Hi Val

My great grandfather's sister was a sister in Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service during WW1, her nursing record is at TNA listed under series WO399. She is mentioned in The Gazette as she was awarded the Royal Red Cross medal.

Hope you find something.
            Jay

Comment

Lovely to see you Jay hope your well ? I only found out tonight she was a Nurse, gave up trying to find her years ago.
              Thanks for that info

Comment

Val - there is a Military Nurses database on FMP - might be worth checking
                Elaine

Comment

why didn't I know that existed ??? thanks Elaine , didn't find her though

Comment

Working...
                  X