Another difficult witness surname.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another difficult witness surname.

Can anyone make a suggestion on the surname please for this witness to a Liverpool marriage in 1863.Charles Who..jpg

Charles Casrane? I do think that the first 4 letters are right though Alan, comparing the R with Charles makes it look possible. though the surname doesn't really sound like one I have ever heard of!..
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Who knows Julie, I was hoping to get 'Cosgrove' out of it..........................it's the third letter that is odd.

Comment

no not odd, its a long 's' that looks like an 'f' I have seen many of those in my transcribing time.. it could be cosgrove [though I can't spot a 'g']
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Would it be Charles Caferone?

Comment

I would remark that the "a" of "Charles" is much more firmly 'closed' than the two potential "a" characters in the surname.
            The smudged probable consonant does look much the same as the "r" of "Charles".
            I agree that it's more likely to be a long-s than an f in the middle.
            The "e" at the end should be regarded with caution - it could easily be a flourish and not an actual letter, in the same way that there are a lot of Cornish BARRONs transcribed as BARROWs because of a flourish in the script.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

charles casrane or casrare is what it looks like. very difficult though.

Comment

Hiya Alan.....

If it didn't have that curly bit on the end then I'd say it was Caplan.....lol
                Last edited by Tilly Mint; 01-05-14, 07:09.
                Jacky

Comment

Working...
                X