whos the parents ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whos the parents ?

Hi i need help tracing the parents of John Hankinson Dob 09/09/1763 He was married to Alice Marsh 04/01/1791 in Warrington Cheshire. The reason im asking is two people doing the tree have johns parents has different people, Hoping someone can help

Could this be his Baptism? Baptism: 9 Sep 1763 St Elphin, Warrington, Lancashire, England
    John Hankinson - Son of Joseph Hankinson & Margt.
    Register: Baptisms 1760 - 1781, Page 31, Entry 24
    Source: LDS Film 1562957
    OPC, Online Parish Clerk, family history, local history, free data, parish registers, census, Lancashire

Vonny

Comment

This is the marriage: Marriage: 4 Jan 1791 St Mary the Virgin, Eccles, Lancashire, England
      John Hankinson - (X), 21 years, this Parish
      Alice Marsh - (X), 22 years, this Parish
      Witness: William Valentine; Jonn. Shaw
      Banns Read: 19 Dec, 2nd: 26 Dec, 3rd: 2 Jan
      Married by Banns by: Richard Guest Curate
      Source: Microfilm at Manchester Central Library
      OPC, Online Parish Clerk, family history, local history, free data, parish registers, census, Lancashire

Vonny

Comment

I've only had a quick look at Ancestry's family trees but it seems there was more than one John Hankinson born in the right time frame. How sure are you that the one who married Alice Marsh was born 9 Sept 1763 - ie have you got that exact date from a family gravestone or have you assumed it from a match between an age at death and the baptism record (nb at that period unless the parish register was particularly informative and included a date of birth the only dates to be found will be of baptism not birth)
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

The one who married Alice was 21, born 1770, so isn't the one born 1763, surely?

OC

Comment

This is a baptism for 1771 so could this one be the one who married Alice Marsh?
            Baptism: 10 Mar 1771 St Elphin, Warrington, Lancashire, England
            John Hankinson - Son of James Hankinson & Alice
            Register: Baptisms 1760 - 1781, Page 100, Entry 9

Vonny

Comment

Is there a clue in the names of his children?

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Vonny North West View Post
                Could this be his Baptism? Baptism: 9 Sep 1763 St Elphin, Warrington, Lancashire, England
                John Hankinson - Son of Joseph Hankinson & Margt.
                Register: Baptisms 1760 - 1781, Page 31, Entry 24

Vonny
                This is what my brother found but the other person has a Thomas Hankinson who married Susan (or Susannah) Hankinson who married at St.Nicholas's Church, Liverpool 24 Jan 1763. I cant even find these people,

Comment

Johns children are John, Thomas, Susanna Ellen, Thomas (2) JamesHenry, Ann ,John----- Josephs children are John, James, Thomas, Joseph,

Comment

Do you have dates of birth/baptism for the children by any chance?
                    Vonny

Comment

do you have any primary evidence that john was from warrington? or are you just assuming that from the ancestry trees? his age at marriage suggests a birth around 1770. have you got a burial to confirm his age?

Comment

Originally posted by Vonny North West View Post
                        Do you have dates of birth/baptism for the children by any chance?
                        Vonny
                        yes most im just walking out the door to work so will put them up just after 9pm, x

Comment

Once we get back pre 1837 and civil registration, we have to bear in mind that NOT all parish records are available on line. There may well be records elsewhere of church events for people of that same name. So, just because we only find one or two records online, doesn't mean that one of them HAS to be for our person. I try to find other records as well to help me plot out mini trees for the various possible families. This often helps to eliminate/confirm possibilities.
                          I often have a look at a map to note the names of possible parishes, then investigate which have had their records for that time span put on line. I make a list of which others I need to consult for elimination purposes. Despite searching for over 25 years, I still have a "missing" church marriage from the 1690's and a Quaker marriage from the 1730's. The surname is fairly uncommon and the forenames even more so. But I only THINK I've got it right (as I seem to have exhausted all other possibilities) and try to keep an open mind. If someone can produce evidence to the contrary, then I'll be happy to change my mind.

Jay
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I'm in the same position as Jay with several lines - more than one candidate, missing records, so I've made mini trees while I wait for the final piece of evidence!

One missing marriage is particularly maddening as I have the bride's maiden name and as far as I know, the family never moved out of the parish from birth to death. This is a family which was very involved with the parish church and it is almost inconceivable that they did not marry.

OC

Comment

Working...
                            X