X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florina Ormond marriage 1833

I am getting a headache with this one.

I have a newspaper report from the Kentish Gazette 11 Jun 1833

'MARRIED lately Mr Thomas Pye jun of Wrinsted Court Frinsted to Florina youngest daughter of Chas Percy Ormond Esq'

but I cannot find the actual marriage nor any evidence of Florina or her father. Maybe I am just looking in the wrong place, could fresh eyes find anything?

Many thanks...
    Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Bubble think it is Fiorina not Florina ? have found a couple of newspaper articles about Thomas Pye

Comment

Thank you Val, the sale relates to the father Thomas Pye of the Thomas Pye who married Fiorina... I have Thomas Pye's coming out of my ears. Many thanks re Fiorina, I must have been thinking of a certain spread. Maybe I need to be looking at some variants of Ormond.
      Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

I did a search on ancestry using O*mond but nothing useful coming up. Using Fiorina alone might be good,
        Margaret

Comment

Thanks, will give it a go. I am sure eventually all will become clear.
          Bubblebelle x

Comment

I tried that and seems there was a Battle of Florina so got lots of hits

Comment

Have had a bit of a brainwave and wondered if it could have originally been Selina, thinking of old writing S's and F's and all that, but still not come up with anything. I have tried Au for O in case she may be French, but still nothing. Yes I know clutching at straws.
              Bubblebelle x

Comment

Bubble, have you not sighted the couple at all after their marriage? Do you know of any children they had?

Comment

When/where was Thomas born? Is he the Thomas christened 13 July 1814 Charing, Kent, England, son of Thomas and Maria?

Comment

Thank you Susan. Yes Thomas Pye Charing Kent 1814 is the one I am looking for. I am afraid he is a big white gap on my tree as I have no other information for him other than the baptism and newspaper announcement.

The wording of the announcement makes me wonder if he married away from his locality, this is possible as his brother, my direct ancestor, went to S America with his family 10 years later, although most of the family remained in the Kent area until the latter 19th century. I have tried to look for him abroad, using some of the Pye variations I have come across in my searches for other members of the family.

When I found the announcement I thought that I had hit the jackpot with the unusual name, but in fact it has been a bit of a hindrance, I have tried looking for a Charles Percy Ormond, I did find one in Huntingdonshire, but maybe need to revisit and see if I can follow him through. There are some Ormonds in Scotland but cannot seem to match the names.

I have managed to untangle the various Pye generations, they did like their naming patterns, but this Thomas Pye is a bit of a mystery.
                    Bubblebelle x

Comment

The wording of the announcement makes me wonder if he married away from his locality
                      I agree, Bubble. 'Lately' does suggest the marriage took place either abroad or outside Kent. I've tried hard to find a sighting of him but so far not had a result.

Comment

Thanks for trying... at least I know it's not just me having problems finding them
                        Bubblebelle x

Comment

ormond sounds quite irish.....

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                            ormond sounds quite irish.....
                            Oh no!! But as I just can't find them, it is a possibility. This will be my first visit to Irish records... can you believe that?

Sorry I meant to say thanks the shock made me lose my manners.
                            Last edited by bubblebelle; 01-05-14, 08:33.
                            Bubblebelle x

Comment

I noticed there are 2 baptisms for a Thomas to Thomas and Maria, have you seen this burial?

England, Kent, Parish Registers
                              Name: Thomas Pye
                              Event Type: Burial
                              Event Date: 01 Oct 1849
                              Event Place: East Malling, Kent, England
                              Birth Year (Estimated): 1816
                              GS Film Number: 000992508
                              Digital Folder Number: 004989824
                              Image Number: 00729
                              Last edited by Elaine; 01-05-14, 20:56.
                              Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                              http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Thank you Elaine, yes I had seen the 2 baptisms, but at the moment I am working with it being one or the other. Thank you for that death, I will have to look at it in more detail as there are numerous Pye's with the same names born to various members of the extended family within a few years of each other in the same localities, this is why I have found the family announcements such as the one I posted such a help, as it clarifies who belongs to who. It is something to work with... many thanks and fingers crossed.
                                Bubblebelle x

Comment

If you search http://books.google.com/ the following entry comes up:

Lately, Mr. Thomas Pye, jun. of Wrinsted. Court, Frinsted, to Fiorina, youngest daughter of Chas. Percy Ormond, esq. May 23, at the British Ambassador's chapel, Paris
                                  Last edited by Mary from Italy; 04-05-14, 00:16.

Comment

Oh wow thanks Mary. I have been searching for a couple of days following any Thomas Pye's I thought may fit the bill. Now at least I have a starting point. Many thanks for that and oddly that didn't come up in my google searches, but I must admit I did not limit to google books in this case. However I did find a brother of a direct ancestor who was responsible for the reclamation of Romney marshes, it was interesting how prevalent malaria was in Kent in the 1850's, this perhaps explains his worth of the equivalent of £4 million in todays money. That's the trouble with genealogy you can so easily get distracted.
                                    Bubblebelle x

Comment

Back to square one :(

It is actually a misleading transcription and the piece about the Ambassadors office actually relates to the following marriage of Oscar, eldest son of Baron D'Est. I thought it odd when I clicked the link and it took me to the same newspaper report I had found on British Newspapers online. Oh well back to Romney marshes., with the odd Thomas Pye thrown in.
                                      Bubblebelle x

Comment

Working...
                                      X