Searching for a woman!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching for a woman!

I am looking for the birth record or baptism of Elizabeth Ann Brotherhood, my great grandmother. I have precious little information but what I do know is shown below.

DoB probably around 1868/69.

In December 1890 she was in Mansfield Union Workhouse Infirmary where on 28th Decenber1890 she gave birth to my grandmother, Mary Elizabeth Brotherhood. On the 19th January 1891 she left the workhouse with her new baby. it would seem likely that she entered the Infirmary to have her daughter.

In the 1891 census, she and her baby were boarders with Henry and Elizabeth Derrick at 63 Newcastle Street, Hucknall under Huthwaite (now just Huthwaite) Sutton in Ashfield. Her birthplace is down as Sutton in Ashfield(may or may not be correct). Thomas Harrison was also a boarder.

I have other information from the 1881 census that shows a George and Ann Brotherhood with other children were living at Byron Street, Sneinton but Ann is not one of them.

I do not know if Ann had other siblings. The one thing that does fit is the tendency for mothers to give their daughters their Christian name as a second Christian name.

Is any one able to help me take my researches further please?
    Last edited by Darksecretz; 25-05-14, 09:11.

Originally posted by Thetallone View Post
    I am looking for the birth record or baptism of Elizabeth Ann Brotherhood, my great grandmother. I have precious little information but what I do know is shown below.

DoB probably around 1868/69.

In December 1890 she was in Mansfield Union Workhouse Infirmary where on 28th Decenber1890 she gave birth to my grandmother, Mary Elizabeth Brotherhood. On the 19th January 1891 she left the workhouse with her new baby. it would seem likely that she entered the Infirmary to have her daughter.

In the 1891 census, she and her baby were boarders with Henry and Elizabeth Derrick at 63 Newcastle Street, Hucknall under Huthwaite (now just Huthwaite) Sutton in Ashfield. Her birthplace is down as Sutton in Ashfield(may or may not be correct). Thomas Harrison was also a boarder.

I have other information from the 1881 census that shows a George and Ann Brotherhood with other children were living at Byron Street, Sneinton but Ann is not one of them.

I do not know if Ann had other siblings. The one thing that does fit is the tendency for mothers to give their daughters their Christian name as a second Christian name.

Is any one able to help me take my researches further please?
    Welcome to the Forum.

What other information is on the birth cert for Mary E?

Have you looked for Elizabeth Ann on the 1871 census using the information you have? Did you find her in later censuses at all?

Margaret
    Last edited by Darksecretz; 25-05-14, 09:11.

Comment

In 1891 they are mis-transcribed as Brotherwood - tried to put the link up but it won't work properly :(
      Margaret
      Last edited by margaretmarch; 28-04-14, 15:55.

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
        In 1891 they are mis-transcribed as Brotherwood - tried to put the link up but it won't work properly :(
        Margaret
        Thanks Magaret!

I have tried the 1881,1871and 1861 censuses (or is it censi?) to no avail. I have searched using Brotherhood and Brotherwood as I am told that the former derives from the latter. I, like you, found the transcription error inthe 1891 census. I hope I searched correctly!

From her birth certificate, I can see that Mary E was born on the 27th Dec1890. (I may have said 28th Dec by mistake earlier.) She was born to Elizabeth Ann Brotherhood, Domestic servant of Sutton. The birth was recorded by Daniel Williams, Master of the Union Workhouse, Mansfield on the 3rd March 1891. No father is named.

I have been in touch with Southwell Workhouse where records are kept and that have suggested avenues of research as to her stay in the hospital but theydid tell me that Elizabeth A left with her baby on 19th Jan 1891.

What I am trying to discover is information about Elizabeth A before she had the baby in the Workhouse Hospital.

Kevin

Comment

I have been searching the 1881 census to see what I can find but nothing is coming up :(

Do you have he and Mary in later censuses just so we can see exactly what there is for her and any clues that might suggest themselves from the records.

Have you researched the Derrick family and Thomas Harrison at all to see if they could be connected to Elizabeth?

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
            I found the 1891 Margaret, will see if the link works for me (yes, tested it ok) -

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/65...l=ReturnRecord
            Thanks Chrissie - don't know what I did wrong
            Margaret

Comment

another posting on here
              I am trying to find a record of birth and then a birth certificate for Elizabeth Ann Brotherhood born 1869/1868 in Sutton in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire. She was one of my ancestors. In the 1891 census she, and her daughter, Mary Elizabeth (14 weeks old) were boarders with Henry and Elizabeth Derri...

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                I have been searching the 1881 census to see what I can find but nothing is coming up :(

Do you have he and Mary in later censuses just so we can see exactly what there is for her and any clues that might suggest themselves from the records.

Have you researched the Derrick family and Thomas Harrison at all to see if they could be connected to Elizabeth?

Margaret
                Will investigate tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                  Yes that's me. I thought I'd try a two pronged attack to solve this one :-)

Comment

did you find whether that George on that link was yours ?

Comment

You don't mention her 1901, does Elizabeth Ann marry?
                      Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                      http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Sorry, just rechecked the end of the other thread, was too busy looking at this one....so nothing after 1891
                        Elaine

Comment

There is a death of an Elizabeth Ann Brotherhood 1902, so wondered if these burials were worth searching

Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                            I found the 1891 Margaret, will see if the link works for me (yes, tested it ok) -

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/65...l=ReturnRecord
                            Thanks! I did find that info though. It's her life before entering the workhouse in 1890 that I am interested in. I know quite a bit about her after the turn of the century

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
                              There is a death of an Elizabeth Ann Brotherhood 1902, so wondered if these burials were worth searching

http://www.ashfield-dc.gov.uk/ashfie...ries/index.php
                              I don't think this is the Elizabeth A I am looking for. My mother (and Elizabeth A's granddaughter ) remembers her. At some point Elizabeth A moved to Sheffield (where I live). She was known as Ibbotson and then Watson. In the 1911 census she was living with and allegedly married to Reuben Watson and living on Neill Road. My mother tells me she died in Sheffield in 1939 and I have taken this at face value without a search ( so far!)

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
                                You don't mention her 1901, does Elizabeth Ann marry?
                                Yes. Elizabeth A did marry but I have not researched wedding certificates yet. Her daughter, Mary Elizabeth had half siblings called Ibbotson and in 1911 was married to Reuben Watson and living in Sheffield (1911 census)

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                                  did you find whether that George on that link was yours ?
                                  Which George are your effecting to please?

Comment

Sorry, the iPad tries to guess what word I want, often wrongly! The reply above should say, Which George are you referring to please?

Comment

Originally posted by Thetallone View Post
                                      Yes. Elizabeth A did marry but I have not researched wedding certificates yet. Her daughter, Mary Elizabeth had half siblings called Ibbotson and in 1911 was married to Reuben Watson and living in Sheffield (1911 census)
                                      Your best bet to find out more is to get her marriage certificate to Reuben Watson, if it was in West Yorshire somewhere you might find a copy on the internet as the registers have been digitised. They are available on ancestry.co.uk.
                                      Margaret

Comment

Working...
                                      X