Copy will

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copy will

Hi as part of an earlier threat relating to my aunt, Dorothy knight,who was adopted, informally, I believe, I am thinking of obtaining a copy of the will of the lady who I think adopted her.

Can anyone advise the process for this and the approximate cost. I know that the amount left was in excess of £1m in total and would be interested to see the beneficiaries!

Thank you for your help in advance.

Gill

Was this the Edith Douglas-Hamilton who you referred to in an earlier thread?
    She appears on the England and Wales National Probate calendar as DOUGLAS-HAMILTON, Edith Annie Hamilton died 22 Aug 1927 Probate granted 4 October 1927 in London
    This is enough info to order a copy of the will.
    Here's the link to the site you need. Cost is £6 http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pro...f-grants-wills
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

It might be worth a phone call before you write the cheque as it was mentioned in the last Lost Cousins newsletter. It refers to Tuesday the 22 April as the newsletter is dated the 17th. If you apply with the wrong amount it will delay them sending it.

Post-1858 wills to cost 66% more

From Tuesday the cost of copy wills is going up from £6 to £10, a swingeing increase of 66%. However the Probate Service website still shows the old price - so I reckon that if you send in a postal application before Tuesday you should escape the price increase.

Comment

I thought the date for the increase was Tuesday 22nd April - but not sure where I read this - but as you say, the website is still showing the cost at £36.
        Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
          I thought the date for the increase was Tuesday 22nd April - but not sure where I read this - but as you say, the website is still showing the cost at £36.
          or even £6 :D
          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

doh ... yes £6.
            I typed £3 to start with and then (I thought) corrected it to £6. Obviously not!
            Elaine

Comment

Thank you to all. I have just telephoned the probate registry and they have confirmed the price is now £10. There is also a new form which requires completion that is not yet on their website and they do not know when their website will be updated with the new form and change of price! The lady I spoke to is going to e mail me the relevant form. Thanks again

Comment

Gill, when you get the forum could you email a copy through to the FTF email address in case anyone else needs it.
                email: admin@familytreeforum.com

Thanks
                Elaine

Comment

Yes no problem. Will be with you shortly

Comment

Thanks Gill. Email received.
                    Elaine

Comment

I've uploaded the form to our Wills and Probate page in the reference library should anyone else need it.

It appears under the heading
                      Some sources which may be of use:
                      • The Probate Service
                      Elaine

Comment

Working...
                      X