Searching Arthur Dean(e) saddler arrived Aust. Nov. 1895

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching Arthur Dean(e) saddler arrived Aust. Nov. 1895

Arthur was the brother of my paternal great grandfather, Sam Dean.
    Arthur was born March qtr 1868. Census says Hoyland, registration district Barnsley (England and Wales FBMD).
    I have located him on the 1871, 1881 and 1891 census. Parents are Thomas Dean (with an (e) in the 1891 census) and Sarah Evans.
    My mother spoke about an Uncle of my paternal grandmother living in Australia. Arthur is the only male sibling of my gt grandfather I cannot locate.
    There is an entry on Ancestry of an Arthur Dean aged 27, sadler departing London 20 September 1895. Date of birth abt 1868, Ship Austral.
    There is a record of Arthur Dean, labourer arriving Sydney on the Austral 2 November 1895. I have searched Ancestry and state records - lots of Arthur Dean's but no clue to link to my Arthur.

There is a Fred Ibbotson listed below Arthur on the outgoing manifest - he is 23 and a miner. Arthur came from a mining family and a mining area. Not sure relevance of this. He becomes Fred Ibbotson labourer on the incoming manifest. 1891 has a Fred Ibbotson, miner, living in Hoyland so I think they may have come out together. I have tried to find Fred in Australia but nothing to lead me to him.
    Any help appreciated. Thank you
    Last edited by JALimestonePlains; 27-04-14, 05:23.
    JALimestonePlains
    Ancestors: Allen, Armitage, Barlow, Bradley, Brett, Bull, Carruthers, Dean, Earls, Ellis, Evans, Haigh, Hepworth, Kendrick, Lofthouse, Pogson, Smith, Spowage, Stubbs, Taylor, Walker.

Are these Deans too old JA?
    The first one would be 39 at the time (These are marriages in West Australia)
    Surname FirstName District Number Sex Year SpSurname SpFirstName
    Dean Arthur Perth 396 M 1907 Stidworthy Florence R
    Dean Arthur F Wellington 92 M 1931 Offer Linda H
    Dean Arthur C Perth 57 M 1935 Griffiths Jessie M
    Dean Donald Arthur Perth 711 M 1956 Harrod Margaret
    Deane Arthur N Plantagenet 31 M 1919 Adams Ivy M
    Deane Arthur Charles Plantagenet 28 M 1964 Taylor Isabella Jean

Karrakatta Cemetery shows
    Metropolitan Cemeteries Board (West Australia)

Summary Of Record Information
    First Name ARTHUR Names are only recorded in capitals Application Number
    Last Name DEAN KC00013963 See legend for application code details
    Aged (Years) 90 Date of Death 05/11/1958
    Suburb HILTON PARK

Ashes Request
    SCATTERED OVER GARDEN AT KARRAKATTA CEMETERY Completed yes
    Last edited by jood; 27-04-14, 05:43.
    jood sadly died in November 2019.

Comment

Jood, thank you for looking - he was born in either 1867 or 1868 - so the 90 year old could be him. I think I have a birth record for Dec qtr 1867. I have been through FMP and Ancestry and a few state sites but I do not have anything to link an Arthur Dean to - and there are many Arthur Deans in Australia lol. I think it will be a fluke if I find him. A long shot was to out something on here. I know my mother said that Sarah, my paternal grandmother had told her that the Vicar was concerned at how small Sarah was and that he thought the climate in Australia would do her good so they thought of sending her to the Uncle - that is all I know. She never came to Australia though. The only clue I have is that Arthur was listed as a 'sadler' on the 1891 census, then I picked up the shipping record. He is documented on a NSW Unassisted Passenger list as the ship arrived in Sydney.
      JALimestonePlains
      Ancestors: Allen, Armitage, Barlow, Bradley, Brett, Bull, Carruthers, Dean, Earls, Ellis, Evans, Haigh, Hepworth, Kendrick, Lofthouse, Pogson, Smith, Spowage, Stubbs, Taylor, Walker.

Comment

so the passenger list doesn't give an occupation?

Comment

Outgoing list shows occupation as sadler, incoming to Sydney just says labourer, as it did for Frederick Ibbotson - miner on the way out and labourer on the way into Sydney
          JALimestonePlains

Comment

Working...
          X