Trying to prove a family legend - Australia/New Zealand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to prove a family legend - Australia/New Zealand

I was always told that my great uncle Robert Codnor Dodds emigrated to Australia with his wife Betty. They then apparently moved to New Zealand where he died. His wife and his daughter Ada then returned to the UK, with my Grandfather going to fetch them home.

I have found an outbound passenger list on FMP which matches:- R C Dodds aged 27 occupation Farmer and Mrs E Dodds aged 30 are on board the Gothic sailing from London to Fremantle Departing from London on 29th February 1912. ( I am a little confused as it says destination port Fremantle, but Ship's destination Sydney )

I am unsure exactly when Elizabeth and Ada returned to England - I suspect it was somewhere between 1924 and 1935 but there is no one left to ask :(

Can anyone tell me where to start looking for information to confirm the story any further please?
    Barbara

Do you know when Ada was born?
    Elaine

Comment

No unfortunately Elaine. I know nothing about her other than the name. I "think" she was born around 1920, but I don't really know why.
      Barbara

Comment

What's her maiden name Barbara?
        Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
        http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
          What's her maiden name Barbara?
          Mrs E Dodds was nee Johnson

Ignore the Codnor as a middle name please - I can't remeber where that came from :o
          Last edited by Barbara Dodds; 24-04-14, 20:10. Reason: correcting surname
          Barbara

Comment

I was looking on the BMD's in New Zealand, will go back again BUT found another one of mine because it had been a few months since I last looked and just got in with dates, thank you!
            Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
            http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Don't worry about mine Elaine - concentrate on yours
              Barbara

Comment

Originally posted by Barbara Dodds View Post
                I was always told that my great uncle Robert Codnor Dodds emigrated to Australia with his wife Betty. They then apparently moved to New Zealand where he died. His wife and his daughter Ada then returned to the UK, with my Grandfather going to fetch them home.

I have found an outbound passenger list on FMP which matches:- R C Dodds aged 27 occupation Farmer and Mrs E Dodds aged 30 are on board the Gothic sailing from London to Fremantle Departing from London on 29th February 1912. ( I am a little confused as it says destination port Fremantle, but Ship's destination Sydney )

I am unsure exactly when Elizabeth and Ada returned to England - I suspect it was somewhere between 1924 and 1935 but there is no one left to ask :(

Can anyone tell me where to start looking for information to confirm the story any further please?
                Barbara,
                Virtually all passenger lists will show destination port as Fremantle, as after a long trip across the Indian Ocean they called in there to refuel, replenish etc.

From Fremantle they generally stopped at Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane before turning round and repeating the voyage back.
                Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

The passenger lists shows that while the vessels final destination that voyage was Sydney - Mr and Mrs Dodds intended to disembark in Fremantle

On the NZ BDM register there is a death for a Robert COLWELL Dodds in 1922 aged 37 - perhaps there was some confusion over his slightly unusual middle name

Comment

If Colwell is the correct middle name - this man applied to join the Australian Imperial Force with an address in Manjimup Western Australia in 1916 - aged 31 - but according to the brief details available online he possibly wasn't accepted - the record is here -

It has not been digitised - but if you think it may be him you can request an online copy for $19.00 (about GBP10.50)

As well as explaining some background - this detail from the NAA gives some idea of what is likely to be included in the record

This series consists of records for those individuals who applied to
                    enlist in the Australian Imperial Force, and were either rejected,
                    discharged while still in training, or went on to serve within
                    Australia only [usually as depot troops or camp guards]. The most
                    common reason for rejection is on medical grounds. Discharges are
                    recorded as occurring for the same reason, as well as unsuitability,
                    and through general demobilisation at the conclusion of hostilities.
                    Some records relating to members of the Australian Army Nursing
                    Service are also to be found.

The forms most consistently present are 'Australian Military Forces:
                    Australian Imperial Force: Attestation paper of persons enlisted for
                    service abroad', [single A3 folio folded to form four pages] and
                    'Application to Enlist in the Australian Imperial Force' [a single
                    folio printed on front and reverse]. Both of the above forms provide
                    for the entry of such details as the subject's full name, occupation,
                    age, current address, date of enlistment, height and chest
                    measurements, and the results of medical examination. The larger form
                    allows for additional details such as statements of service history,
                    casualties promotions, etc. Where the individual has attempted to
                    enlist more than once multiple application forms will often be
                    present. Many of the records also have other papers appended,
                    including Medical History forms, Conduct Sheets, Issue Cards, and
                    correspondence from the subjects or their next of kin.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation David

That looks very interesting Sue - and looks like the right person as well.
                      Barbara

Comment

Could this be him ?
                        birth dec qtr 1893 DODDS Robert Cowell .... Easington ( Co Durham ) 10a 409
                        Last edited by garstonite; 25-04-14, 06:55.
                        Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                        oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                        adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                        merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                        coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Originally posted by garstonite View Post
                          Could this be him ?
                          birth dec qtr 1893 DODDS Robert Cowell .... Easington ( Co Durham ) 10a 409
                          It's confusing, but I think this is his birth registration ..
                          Births Mar 1885
                          Robert Colwell JACKSON
                          Castle W 10b 297

He was the son of Elizabeth Jackson, who then married Thomas Dodds.
                          1911 census: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...try&h=30466487
                          Elaine

Comment

I can`t find a marriage for Robert Dodds to Elizabeth Johnson / Johnston / Johnstone on freebmd up to 1912
                            ADDED
                            Ahh thanks Elaine ...maybe the marriage is Jackson to Johnson ...
                            no luck- can`t find a marriage for Elizabeth Johnson to Robert Dodds / Jackson ...
                            Last edited by garstonite; 25-04-14, 07:17.
                            Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

Originally posted by garstonite View Post
                              I can`t find a marriage for Robert Dodds to Elizabeth Johnson / Johnston / Johnstone on freebmd up to 1912
                              ADDED
                              Ahh thanks Elaine ...maybe the marriage is Jackson to Johnson ...
                              I mentioned to Barbara last night that I thought the marriage may have been to Emma Johnson (not Elizabeth) - she was going to check back through her research to see what she could find!
                              (There is a Robert Dodds / Emma Johnson marriage in 1911 in Castle Ward which might fit).
                              Elaine

Comment

Ok thanks Elaine ...it looks very likely ...where is Castle Ward ?? ie nearest big town / city
                                added...ok thanks ...Northumberland ...just curious
                                Last edited by garstonite; 25-04-14, 07:22.

Comment

Robert Colwell Dodds is a farmer in Manjimup, WA in 1916 according to the electoral roll. However, there is also an Emma Dodds at the same address - no Betty.

Comment

1911 census has him with his parents in Northumberland, single:

Thomas Dodds 65
                                    Mary An Dodds 52
                                    Robert Colwell Dodds 26
                                    Joseph Ellison Dodds 24
                                    John William Dodds 17
                                    Henry Ellison Dodds 15
                                    Jane Elizabeth Dodds 12

Looks like his wife was Emma, not Elizabeth:

Marriages Dec 1911
                                    DODDS Robert C Castle W. 10b 543
                                    Johnson Emma Castle Ward 10b 543

Comment

So, we have:

Robert Colwell Dodds
                                      Born Robert Colwell Jackson, Jan/Feb/Mar 1885, Stamfordham, Northumberland
                                      Married: Emma Johnson, Oct/Nov/Dec 1911, Castle Ward RD, Northumberland
                                      Departed London for Fremantle, WA 29-Feb-1912
                                      Farmer in Manjimup, WA 1916
                                      Applied for AIF, 1916 (possibly rejected)
                                      Died in New Zealand, 1922

Can't find a birth for Ada in the WA births index, so she may have been born in NZ. Unfortunately, the NZ births index only goes to 1914 (when Robert was still in WA) so no way of checking this.

Comment

Emma Dodds returned to UK from Wellington NZ on the Ionic, arriving in Southampton 7-Sep-1927. Emma was a widow aged 47. However, she had just one daughter, Elizabeth aged 11. Their proposed address in UK was "White House, Whittington, Newcastle on Tyne".

Comment

Working...
                                        X